Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2015, 23:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nuisance coyote problem
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012, 19:54 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I am a newbie to this topic so I thought I would ask the pros! A local horse farmer contacted me, thru my wife, today asking if I would take care of a coyote problem she is having. She said that a coyote or a pack of coyotes killed one of her horses? I haven't got a chance to actually talk to her yet so I do not know alot of the story yet but I wanted to ask if anyone has ever had any experience with this sort of thing? I guess without a lot of knowledge on this sort of thing I am hesitant to believe that coyote would bring down a horse? Is it more likley that she is dealing with a pack of dogs? What kind of sign should I be looking for to be able to tell the difference? I would really like to know what I'm dealing with before I go on the attack! I appreciate any help anyone could give me on this.

Thanks

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012, 20:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i would go and look things over and put some steel in the ground and if you catch a pack of dogs dispatch them and if you get some coyotes dispatch them..but i wouldn't imaging a pack of coyotes killing a horse. someone may have shot it then the coyotes eat it. or it died from something. but i guess if they get hungry enough who knows what they could do....just my 2 pennies.. thanks, denny

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 06:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

oh, by the way welcome to WAT!!!!!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 19:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Old or sick horse most def could be coyotes .

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 12:49 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I found out a little more info today: It was a medium sized pony that was 20 years old and she (the landowner) thinks that the coyotes got into the pasture and ran the pony thru the fence, down into a ravine and it must have fallen and broken it's neck. I still haven't got a chance to get out there and check it out. I plan on doing that within the next day or so.

Thank you bronco2 for the welcome, Ive been a fan of WAT for some time now and have learned a whole bunch, just never really had a reason to post until now.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 12:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That sounds more reasonable. I been around coyotes and livestock all my life and never have even heard of a coyote or coyotes killing a horse. But if the horse was dead they would not hesitate at all in eating it. They love horse meat, its my favorite coyote bait.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 11:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The property I bought had an older horse on it before I purchased the house the elderly woman watched while yotes climbed onto it drug it to the ground where they ripped it open killed it and began to eat it before she was able to get help out finally the neighbor woke and killed a couple of them ran the others off . Said there were four or five of them . So a pony would be that much more vulnerable just like a cow they will run them scared till they tire and can take advantage or run then tgru a fence where they will have the upper had or tangle them in the fence . They are smarter them people think sometimes they learn what it takes and hunger is a driving force .

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 02:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

if you can still look at the horse look for bite marks in the back of the neck and see if it still has its vital organs attached could be a cat kill they dont always burry there kill

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 13:29 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I still haven't heard back from the landowner? It must not been that big of a problem for her. Or maybe she found someone else?

You guys that have some more experience with dealing with "customers". Should I call back and ask about how things are going or just wait for another call?
I left it with her to call me back because she was too busy to talk when I originally called.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 07:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You should always call back I call and check on people no matter if they hired me or not always offer to be helpful it will get around that you check up on folks. What's the worst that can happen she hangs up on you.