Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2015, 00:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 22 mag shells
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 20:41 

Never been a problem up here getting 22 long rifle and 22 mag shells until just after Xmas. All other shells are fine till this day. Been searching for 2 months now for these shells. Our local Walmart and Canadian tire store has had no shells for 6 months and have no idea when they will ever receive them. I did score 10 boxes of Winchester 22 mag solid point 40 grain and 7 boxes of hornandy 22 mags plastic tip. Since all our ammo comes from the States we are now suffering the same dismal effects as you, only 3 years later. To have some fun with this, just guess what I paid for 10 boxes of Winchester 22 mags and 7 boxes of hornandy mags. 50 shell boxes. Swamp you have to remain silent on this as you already know. From now on my golden bullets will only be for high value fur :cry:

Post subject: Re: 22 mag shells
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 08:47 

No guessers. $31.00 a box and $15.99 a box for the hornandy.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 10:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I guess everyone is in the "summer mode" and isn't interested in hunting nor trapping items at this point in time. Maybe we should talk about gardens and fishing now.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 14:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hard to find around here also. i like them remington ceebee's for trapping,havent seen a box of them for 2 years now.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 20:40 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

i know what your goin thru wolf ,i paid 104.00 earlier last year for 3 boxes winchester 22mag hollow points,shipped to front door,jus recieved 3 boxes CCI but for the life of me i cant remember what i paid.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 20:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

.22 ammo is still kind of hard to come by here too, at least with a bearable price. All the more reason for me to continue with snares and lethal sets. I bet I didnt shoot much more then a dozen times last winter (fur wise). I know not everyone can be so lucky as to be able to operate as such, and I feel for you who are in that category. I sure hope the .22 ammo turns around before the raccoon prices do or I'll be a little more crunched too.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 06:06 

.22 Mag and .22 Long Rifle were nearly impossible to obtain around here for nearly a year and a half. Now, there is no problems finding that ammo here but the problem is, expect to pay top dollar. $90.00 for the cheap CCI Blazers per brick and a box of 50 .22 mags are about $25.00.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 12:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

And the "antis" (probably a slightly different combo here than the wild fur prices) have just about won when it comes to .22 ammo. As the EPA and state govs put pressure to get away from anything lead, and with .22 ammo having the most (by sheer volume shot if nothing else), don't expect the good old days of plentiful and cheap ammo to return. Other factors are probably involved as well (some may be a bit more conspiratorial in nature). For whatever reason .22 ammo is a tough go. tRick said about 18 months hard to get for cheap in PA. I'd say going on 30 months here. I'll admit that I haven't tried real hard to get ammo either, like going on-line, but its not like the good old days when a guy could walk in most general purpose stores or even c-stores and find cheap .22 ammo.

I don't know how much pressure or scrutiny has been put on our elected political leaders but I think conservative, non-urban dominated U.S. reps and senators might lend an ear to sportsmen and plinkers if we voice our concerns (full disclosure, I haven't written by 3 people about this issue yet)...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 11:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've been able to buy what I need for ammo here, but they also do have limits on how many boxes per customer for .22

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 21:26 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
I guess everyone is in the "summer mode" and isn't interested in hunting nor trapping items at this point in time. Maybe we should talk about gardens and fishing now.

Not true Swamp. I just trapped 2 grinners last week that had a nose for my chicken feed. Might have to trap a groundhog that got wise after I killed his mother and 5 brothers and must only come out after dark now. Saw a beaver in a 5 foot wide creek yesterday. he had a mouthful of cattails. He's living in a big native trout hole. Good thing beavers don't eat fish. ( don't say a word trappintime ) . :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 08:18 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Not true Swamp. I just trapped 2 grinners last week that had a nose for my chicken feed. Might have to trap a groundhog that got wise after I killed his mother and 5 brothers and must only come out after dark now. Saw a beaver in a 5 foot wide creek yesterday. he had a mouthful of cattails. He's living in a big native trout hole. Good thing beavers don't eat fish. ( don't say a word trappintime ) . :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I stand corrected doc...I had forgotten you lived "close to the land" and see more than some of us do. Otters smell like fish....maybe some beaver do too. :roll:

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 08:01 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

doc9013 wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

:evil:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2015, 00:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

.22 rimfire is hit and miss here. All of my ammunition got stolen this summer, well 95ish%, so ive been watching sales and looking around. Promotional grade .22LR(winchester wildcats etc) are $2.25-$3.75/box(50). I did hit our local Dicks outdoor store with an online coupon and got a brick(500) of Remington Thunderbolts .22LR for $23+ tax. Only .22 mag around here is the uber high quality stuff $18/box. I wont pay that. I'll start shooting my .32 sidelock first. Itll do everything a .22 mag will out to 75 yards. One odd thing and it kinda goes along with Non PCs comment. small load lead shotshells no.6s-no.9 (skeet loads) are very scarce. Even the promotional (junk) rabbit and squirrel, dove and quail winchester loads are few and far between and Olin/Winchester has a plant 60 miles from me. BUT, tons of small shot steel loads for $6.58-$25/box.. Scrap lead is very scarce too. On our way back from Tennessee last week my son and i stopped in st louis and bought some from a guy that advertised on Craigslist. Well bought and bartered. He wanted $1/lb and it was very dirty lead. I couldnt find any deals from here to Knoxville tennessee. Cheapest .223/5.56mm Was still $11/box(20) for FMJ winchester.