Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2015, 21:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer NAFA auction
PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 15:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I saw last night that my April shipment to NAFA has shown up in the "current season receipts". Now I just have to wait out the 7 weeks to the lottering letters and then show time! I hope its not another yawner of passing the buck until the next auction :cry: . Only time will tell...

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: Summer NAFA auction
PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 17:10 

7 slow weeks to wait :mrgreen: Only 3 weeks for my next sale.

PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 18:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I'm glad you made this post NonPC, now we can all sit and guess what might and might not sell. Maybe the Russians or Chinese will have some money to spend this go around....if the farmed mink don't get all of the money before wild skins are sold!

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 21:01 
Trapper
Trapper

I just hope the coyote trimmed parkas are selling off the shelves and are being ordered like crazy!!
I also hope that the "Oklahoma Hairless" (mange infected yote) sell for a lot of bling this summer!!

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 07:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, cdr, I have some beat up yotes hide up there as well. More of an experiment of if and how much they sell for. Learned from them though this winter...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 16:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like NAFA is changing up the order of things for this auction with a good amount of the wild fur going ahead of the ranch mink. I'd hope that is an encoraging sign although you'd think that most buyers know what they're going to buy ahead of time so does the order of things really matter??

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... EVISED.pdf

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 07:56 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

With the huge number of farmed hides there my local buyer is hoping for a lot of buyers to show up. He sent in 1,500 yotes cause he is betting sales will be brisker than in the fall.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 21:54 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I hope it picks up! It's been suckin lately at best. If it don't pick up, I'll be doing something else this season which means I just blew my WFSC dues. Still, that beats getting abused with these lowball offers.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2015, 13:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Big storm took out power to my facility this morning before dawn. They have enough back up to run critical systems but not enough to run the whole place. Their alerting system was half-a**ed this morning, some folks got notified, others didn't. I drove out and knew something was up with only 2-3 dozen cars in the parking lots. Got the news and turned around and drove back so loafing today getting things done that weren't done when we were on vacation last week through yesterday.

I see that NAFA has 2 of the 3 wild fur catalogs up but I don't see a lotting letter yet. Maybe by tonight as buyer inspection starts tomorrow. Curious to see how those junked ditch yotes get graded :oops:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 18:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Anybody get their lotting letter yet??

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 10:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Mine were posted this morning.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 10:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep, I just saw mine as well.

I'm pleasantly surprised that my junk ditch yotes ended up being graded mostly as "heavy" (3) and only 1 "semi". I always thought we had mostly semi-heavies around here but then again I really don't know where they came from other than a road ditch. They may have been shot out west or up north and someone tried to sell on the round and then when got turned down threw them in the ditch to rot this spring. They all got graded damaged but I expected that given all the issues. But 3 of them are in the first group of Section III heavies so they might bring a few bucks. I was pleased they didn't end up as Section IV. The whole thing was more or less a grading experiemtn of mine anyway...

Of my 30+ coon, one ended up in Section III (I think it was that "red band" or whatever it was called when we discussed it this winter). My best coon is in lot 20 of the Western Northern. A majority of my coon are graded 3-4XL so that might help.

Even excited to see of the grinners sell on Saturday :lol: :P

Good luck to everyone who has fur in the game this NAFA auction!!

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 15:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was happy with my rat grades, all 3x select and I eastern. Had one go damaged as it was a roadkill and had a big rip on the belly. I tried to sew it but it is what it is. My coon grades were rough with a lot of 4 and 5 colors. We shall see shortly, I hope they all move. My mink graded well also and they were mostly spring Caught incidentals while rat trapping so that was a plus. Good luck boys

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 17:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WCS- Sorry to hear you got dinged on colors. How do your coon colors usually hold up??

I typically have mostly 3-5 in colors but I have a lot of 2-3 this time around and even a couple of "1"s (Western Northerns, 2 XL SEL* 1). We'll see how they do.

Is there a way to look at the completed catalog with the prices paid from the last auction?? I tried looking but only found the "reports" that don't give individual lot finals.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 20:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
WCS- Sorry to hear you got dinged on colors. How do your coon colors usually hold up??

I typically have mostly 3-5 in colors but I have a lot of 2-3 this time around and even a couple of "1"s (Western Northerns, 2 XL SEL* 1). We'll see how they do.

Is there a way to look at the completed catalog with the prices paid from the last auction?? I tried looking but only found the "reports" that don't give individual lot finals.

I usually get an even split with 2-3 and 4-5. Maybe just an off season.

There is a way to look at old catalogs but you have to save the URL and look it up that way. I print all the catalogs and file them away. Works for me.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 15:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like the NAFA March sale continues to bled on into June. All I had going today were some grinners and a female mink. Nothing sold. I listened to most of the wolf and wolverine sales. They may have gone for some lower prices but at least there was some interest and actually bidding wars for some of those.

We'll see what happens tomorrow...

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 16:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wild mink are in the toilet with prices never seen before so low. What a shame. No one even wants otter it seems even at low prices. No bids for most

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 21:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You know, I dont get that either. To me, otter have some of the nicest pelts of all fur bearers. Heavy leather, dense deep fur and velvety soft...not to mention a sheen that is utterly beautiful. Otter continues to be my top fav for fur. Its a shame such a nice animal hasn't done squat for cash in these auctions. I get them not wanting grinners much or even coons...but otter? Never have understood that. I have heard all other fur is graded in comparison to otter as it is the pinnacle fur....thats just what I heard so dont quote me on that as I never checked its merit. Seems possible in being around them super nice pelts.

I sold both of my left over grinners for $1.67 each. Im in the money. :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 09:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We ended up grossing $50 on the 4 ditch junk yotes. I'm happy with that given I was learning to put up a yote and had a lot of sewing to do (although I don't want to figure out a per hour labor pay :wink: ). We still have a couple of skulls and some teeth to sell. Maybe next season we'll have some that aren't blown all to he**. We'll see...

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 11:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Am very happy so far! My average on my yotes were 44.21 and my high was 100. That is my personal best so far. 8) :--D

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 11:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thought I would add that I sold all yotes except for two that were carry overs from the previous year. 100% clearance on this years yote catch. I have learned also not to listen to the forcast. The forcast that I was hearing is that yotes were going to decline and mine did even better this time around. You don't know until it happens. :wink:

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 12:00 

That dang coyote that showed up on the North side of the shop this spring that we skinned instead of throwing away was a good idea. :shock:

Averaged $88 on the last 8 we sent in which was pretty fair as that is over $100 Can.
The lad averaged $2.67 on 45 rats but what he learned about put up will pay mega dividends down the road. :D

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 13:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard- Congrats on those yotes!! I certainly wish you could have some of tt's Alberta types running around down there in n. KS but we work with what we got. I'm sure your put up makes up for having mostly semis (I suspect). Typically, I think we have mostly semis around here as well. We'll have to see if Fish comments on his doggies (if he had any in there). He usually has a number of heavies up there.

trappintime- Congrats on getting very nice coin for your yotes. Never heard if your snare fort ever got deployed or not. I'd love to get back into than just a couple of mrats like I've had the past 3 years. I might have to make a road trip further north in SD the first week of Nov for a long weekend wading sloughs that actually have some huts in them. I'd rather dink with 50 $4-5 rats vs. 20 $10-12 coon...

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 13:16 

PC. I never got the snare fort up and running. Coyotes ate the bait out so fast it was nuts. Did call 6 out to be shot though. :lol: I ain't quite figured out the slide system to keep them from wrecking the other sets without kinking and breaking my wire. I'm thinking of putting more than one wire on now for a safety feature. Caught [L] from a landowner for not killing enough coyotes at a supper at the lake Friday night. :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 13:17 

Like PC has said, we gotta deal with what we have and I've always been jealous of your bobcats down South. The one Swamp sent me has been handled by people who come to visit so much he is almost spotless. :shock: