Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2015, 01:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015-16 Predictions
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 06:57 

OK trappers, what are your predictions for the upcoming trapping season?

Below is a list of questions and you may want to add some to it.

1, The fur market is in rough shape but there are a specific species that still move like coyote, fisher and fox.
Will you be selective in what you target this season?

2, With the down turn in the fur market, do you think competition will be less this season?

3, Will you be tanning more fur instead of sending to the market?

Post subject: Re: 2015-16 Predictions
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 07:32 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

1) yes
2) yes
3) maybe

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 19:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Still beats watching the boob tube hours on end...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 07:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I will be selective this coming season, even more so then last season. I will try to avoid as many coons and grinners as possible, and will likely take no beaver or otter. I will be very selective on fox and they will have to be quite good for me to take...this last sale wild fox did horrible. The only animals I in fact will target will be fully prime coyote, skunk, and rats. I will also hit bobcats again to some degree but not because they are such a hot item (cats did poorly as compared)....if nothing else I will use them myself or find other avenues. All in all there will be lower competition, as I seen that die off even last year, this year will see more. With all trappers focusing efforts towards yotes, I dont expect their prices to hold long either as greedy harvesters will load up the market with low quality pelts and even higher quality pelts will come in massive number....driving that market down. Same goes for skunk im afraid. Hopefully it takes enough time for that to happen that some other furs will see relief by then...i know...its a pipe dream long shot but i can hope. IMO..the tanned hide market is going to be so flooded with furs from trappers trying to get $ for their pelts that it will be clogged to the point that nobody will be selling them unless they are dirt cheap. Supply and demand works to the negative side too. I really hope we dont see that point in time that I have long feared, that puts us in a place where there is nothing to do with the fur and no place to go with it, other then giving it away..... (shudder) Much will hinge on the outcome of Greece and China's economic crisis. Im hoping for the best but who knows but the Lord Himself. No matter what else my trapping adventures bring, I will scale way down, and trap enough to say I did it and scratch the itch a bit.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 12:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
I will be selective this coming season, even more so then last season. I will try to avoid as many coons and grinners as possible, and will likely take no beaver or otter. I will be very selective on fox and they will have to be quite good for me to take...this last sale wild fox did horrible. The only animals I in fact will target will be fully prime coyote, skunk, and rats. I will also hit bobcats again to some degree but not because they are such a hot item (cats did poorly as compared)....if nothing else I will use them myself or find other avenues. All in all there will be lower competition, as I seen that die off even last year, this year will see more. With all trappers focusing efforts towards yotes, I dont expect their prices to hold long either as greedy harvesters will load up the market with low quality pelts and even higher quality pelts will come in massive number....driving that market down. Same goes for skunk im afraid. Hopefully it takes enough time for that to happen that some other furs will see relief by then...i know...its a pipe dream long shot but i can hope. IMO..the tanned hide market is going to be so flooded with furs from trappers trying to get $ for their pelts that it will be clogged to the point that nobody will be selling them unless they are dirt cheap. Supply and demand works to the negative side too. I really hope we dont see that point in time that I have long feared, that puts us in a place where there is nothing to do with the fur and no place to go with it, other then giving it away.....
(shudder) Much will hinge on the outcome of Greece and China's economic crisis. Im hoping for the best but who knows but the Lord Himself. No matter what else my trapping adventures bring, I will scale way down, and trap enough to say I did it and scratch the itch a bit.

How depressing was that post :--(
Lol

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 17:09 
Trapper
Trapper

There will be a lot more ADC work for those who want to do it.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 19:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

WCS wrote:
Amak wrote:
I will be selective this coming season, even more so then last season. I will try to avoid as many coons and grinners as possible, and will likely take no beaver or otter. I will be very selective on fox and they will have to be quite good for me to take...this last sale wild fox did horrible. The only animals I in fact will target will be fully prime coyote, skunk, and rats. I will also hit bobcats again to some degree but not because they are such a hot item (cats did poorly as compared)....if nothing else I will use them myself or find other avenues. All in all there will be lower competition, as I seen that die off even last year, this year will see more. With all trappers focusing efforts towards yotes, I dont expect their prices to hold long either as greedy harvesters will load up the market with low quality pelts and even higher quality pelts will come in massive number....driving that market down. Same goes for skunk im afraid. Hopefully it takes enough time for that to happen that some other furs will see relief by then...i know...its a pipe dream long shot but i can hope. IMO..the tanned hide market is going to be so flooded with furs from trappers trying to get $ for their pelts that it will be clogged to the point that nobody will be selling them unless they are dirt cheap. Supply and demand works to the negative side too. I really hope we dont see that point in time that I have long feared, that puts us in a place where there is nothing to do with the fur and no place to go with it, other then giving it away.....
(shudder) Much will hinge on the outcome of Greece and China's economic crisis. Im hoping for the best but who knows but the Lord Himself. No matter what else my trapping adventures bring, I will scale way down, and trap enough to say I did it and scratch the itch a bit.

How depressing was that post :--(
Lol

Allllllrighty then.......

My new predictions?

Coons $30 avg....
beaver $40 avg....
rats $10 avg....
yotes $50 avg....
fox $40 avg....
bobcat $190 avg....
mink $27.50 avg....
skunk $13.50 avg....
possum $7.00 avg....
fisher $80 avg....
otter $110 avg....
martin $100 avg....
Timbers $90 avg....
Lynx $200 avg....
weasel $6 avg....
squirrel $4 avg....

There..... feel better? Can you sleep now? :shock: :lol:

....by the way I also have some ocean front property for sale very cheap in scenic Kansas......pay cash and i will throw in a bridge that can be all yours for the same amount. :twisted:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2015, 20:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm still going to trap this season, but I will pretty much focus on trapping rats for the majority of the season. I am still going to try and trap other animals, and really, I am not trapping this fall for money, I'm trapping for my own enjoyment, and to learn more skills, so that when/if the market ever rebounds, I'll know what to do even better :wink:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2015, 13:21 
Trapper
Trapper

longhairboy wrote:
I'm still going to trap this season, but I will pretty much focus on trapping rats for the majority of the season. I am still going to try and trap other animals, and really, I am not trapping this fall for money, I'm trapping for my own enjoyment, and to learn more skills, so that when/if the market ever rebounds, I'll know what to do even better :wink:

Well said!!!!! I like your way of thinking. 8)

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2015, 14:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Should be a good year to buy used or barely used traps.

I don't know how to be selective; I keep making possum sets and other creatures keep plugging them up.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 00:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Most of my collection of traps came from years like the upcoming one. Ebay will be full of cheap traps, Craigslist too. lower competition will be nice. We'll still trap a few coons n possums just because the numbers in our areas will go nuts if we dont. No matter the price on otters, badgers and hopefully bobcats we'll chase those just because we can now. our yotes are junk, always have been but id like to see foxes hold a decent price. 'Rat numbers are rebounding and theres signs in my brothers ponds and lake that look good(now that the otters moved onto the creek).. we always trap skunks for the by products and we make much more tanning them. Unless the skunk prices approach $10 we'll just tan them.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 10:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NAFA cancelled the Sept sale due to lack of interest in wild fur at the moment. That should some up the upcoming year in a nutshell. I may have to take up ice fishing. Lol.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 18:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow, that's a bummer!!! Wild fur generally in the toilet or at least down a lot. Scrap metal in a depression. I might as well take up painting as a hobby :--o

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 11:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey just a thought for this season u could try to sell ur own fur i have a lady intrested in buy fur this year to make teddy bears and such just a thought but take some tanned hides and hit up a local craft show never know could move fur that way

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 06:50 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Talked with our local fur buyer yesterday and he's dang glad he lives where he do as 90+% of his action is coyotes.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 19:31 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I predict pain. lots of pain. Fur prices will suck because the Chinese have de-valued their currency, but Americans will keep buying their frickin junk anyway . :evil: :evil: :evil:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 21:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I see people doing the same thing they did with racoons and flooding the auction with them there is a market for coyotes but big enough for all that will be sent to auction my bet is only the best will be bought up along with a few lower grades and then intrest and prices will cool dramatically

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 10:59 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Wow, that's a bummer!!! Wild fur generally in the toilet or at least down a lot. Scrap metal in a depression. I might as well take up painting as a hobby :--o

Got a house that needs the interior redone, if you are interested.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 23:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It probably would be fun coming out there but sadly not much for travel plans in the near future. I just hope the 03 Buick makes it through this year moving around eastern SD!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 22:13 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

1, The fur market is in rough shape but there are a specific species that still move like coyote, fisher and fox.

I will still target the same species, about fun not money!

2, With the down turn in the fur market, do you think competition will be less this season?
I think it will be slightly less. There are always those marginal trappers that will trap when the fur is booming and will quit when it's down. Guys like me chase critters when we can.

Quick note from an economist, the fur prices are being driven down by an unprecedented devaluation of chinese currency. Although this may seem bad, communist china has long been propping up the value of their currency artificially, so they will do it again and fur will rebound.

Yes

In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! For I have conquered the world.
-John 16:33

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 15:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

4Beards wrote:

I will still target the same species, about fun not money!

I think it will be slightly less. There are always those marginal trappers that will trap when the fur is booming and will quit when it's down. Guys like me chase critters when we can.

Quick note from an economist, the fur prices are being driven down by an unprecedented devaluation of chinese currency. Although this may seem bad, communist china has long been propping up the value of their currency artificially, so they will do it again and fur will rebound.

Yes

Welcome to the forum 4beards. Glad you are here. I have to disagree with you about the fox. I have nice heavy grey fox up in Canada that are not moving. Red fox are selling but at extremely depressed levels. It kills me to see a Nice heavy cherry red sell for $20

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 15:26 
Trapper
Trapper

I will keep trapping just like normal. Been doing it for at least 40 years so I won't change a thing. I have seen a lot of highs and lows in the market but it has never stopped me yet and won't for the years to come. I target coyotes and a few cats and will do the same this year. The only thing, I will be selective on the cats and release all but the best. But coyotes will all end up dead.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 22:52 

We had our fall trappers council meeting tonight and both auction houses were on site to deliver the bad news. nothing is going to be very good this year and i mean all species. raccoon they don't even want. So in a nut shell what there saying only the better prime fur has a better chance of selling and larger sizes. So far there is no interest from fur buyers as of yet and that is why Nafa canceled their September sale. I have to trap because of quota but on certain species. So I will hit hard for a few weeks then shut it down. Good luck to all you other die hards. Only keep high quality furs. Good luck to all and better times are ahead.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 06:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks Wolf!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 10:43 
Trapper
Trapper

yes , targeting prime fur only mostly foe,yotes,mink and rats
I know I competuon will be way down but the thieves will still be their
I tan alot of fur for flea markets , fox stoles coon purses and just plain taned fur
I be out there no mater what but I'll be very particular with my sets