Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2015, 00:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cubby Sets
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 09:41 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I have not trapped for about four years. I am going to try to hit it hard this year, and am trying to get a head start on it. I am wanting to set some cubby sets for bobcats. And was wondering if it's to early to start throwing some bait in every couple of weeks to get them use to working them. And also what is the best bait does everybody uses??

Post subject: Re: Cubby Sets
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 18:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Cody....a couple things to think about. Its awfully hot with bugs in full swing. Cats like fresh meats and that presents a problem. Another thing is that with prey at a peak time with lots of babies and young about, the cats dont need to look far to score easy food making baits less desireable. Its a long time till prime up for cats which puts you baiting them cubbies many many times. Id wait if it were me. Cats arent shy like coyotes or red fox are about enclosed cubbies. If you are setting it up right where the cat travels, you shouldn't have to worry about getting them use to it....if they are a cat prone to go work a cubby they will do so with no prior acclimation. In fact,it might even be more attractive to them the first time they see it. When it is time, i have found canned fish to be very good for bcats. Beaver, rabbit, deer, goose, muskrat are all meats that can work well. The biggest part of the puzzle is making sure the cat is there to encounter it in the first place. Ghost are harder then heck to cuff. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Cubby Sets
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 20:31 

Little early for baiting. Go more towards your fall when ever that starts. No point feeding flies all summer.