Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2015, 00:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ranched fox vs wild fox
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 20:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Was goin to put this on the nafa thread, but thought some might not see it. This was the first time I actually seen the difference between the two fox. I was shocked. Did not realize that the size difference was so huge and the fur quallity was so greatly different. With fur like this it's no wonder why wild fur does not sell well. :shock: :--o
To my understanding, the guy in this pic is 5'2" tall.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 21:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Maybe that's why they can get more $$ for them (generally). I thought it was mostly about the wild colors they've bred. What was with the "sundry" foxes today? I always thought "sundry" meant fur that was owned by dealers but they were asking for big money for "sundry red fox". Maybe its those guys...?

So, they're starting to ramp up over on tman. No big fights yet but fun comments like these...

"The best thing these auction houses could have done was told the buyers they'd burn if they didn't bid on it. These coon are going to haunt us for 10 years!!!! The buyers will wait for next fall and fresh goods. And the carryover from last season if they want it and then......the market is totally saturated! These furs are worse then valueless...they have negative value!!"

"I heard the groeny rat wagon was seen at the back door of the Nafa coon warehouse loading up on private treaty coon"

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 19:52 

Richard Murray wrote:
Was goin to put this on the nafa thread, but thought some might not see it. This was the first time I actually seen the difference between the two fox. I was shocked. Did not realize that the size difference was so huge and the fur quallity was so greatly different. With fur like this it's no wonder why wild fur does not sell well. :shock: :--o
To my understanding, the guy in this pic is 5'2" tall.

Richard that is Jim Gibb holding up the fox. He used to work for Ontario trappers association before it came to be know as Fur Harvestors. Now he is our Nafa wilf fur rep for Northern and Northwestern Ontario. Very good trapper and well knowledgeable in trapping and fur handling. He is 5,10 tall same as me. Wild fur such as fox and mink don't hold a candle to ranch fur. They can breed millions all the same colour. Here is an example of ranch mink

Left side is a wild mink, next one is white Safire the next is pearl and the last is mahogany. Not 100% sure on the order but you can see the big difference between wild and ranch. So now you can breed millions of mink with all the exact colour phase and no need for the buyer to have to spend the extra cash for dying. Wild mink come in various colours and not in great numbers to equal the same amount from ranch.

Now here is some ranch fox compared to wild fox. These have been donated to our council for our fur kit for education from Nafa and Fur Harvestors.

These are all ranch fox and dyed, the last one is a normal red. It is hard to compete with wild fur against ranch fur. One thing we noticed ranch fox is missing the under fur compared to wild fox. David got a SSL fox this year and went for $118.00. Although that does not happen often trapping fur when it is in most prime will give better results then early fur.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 00:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Wolf for the education! I had no idea that the difference was that huge. Since that guy is 5' 10", that just makes them fox that much bigger. :shock: Need a white flag here for surrender. :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 08:51 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Most interesting Richard and Wolf. I knew ranch mink were larger but never thought about the pen fox being twice the size of a wild one. :shock:

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 13:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I skin for a small Mink ranch and sometimes help out with other things. If I remember right they raise Black, mahogany and I think some form of blue. Very pretty animals. Its hard to imagine the size until you have actually seen or handled them. They had a big male last year, that if I remember right actually weighed on a scale around 12 pounds. Its like holding a small Otter.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015, 10:18 
Trapper
Trapper

Spring of '70, I drove into north Denver, Colorado and visited with an old fur buyer. Was just starting into the trapping field and trying to find someone to buy some muskrat hides. He had three or four fox hides hanging that were size of large coyotes. Had to ask about them and was told they had come out of Alaska. Haven't seen any that size until these pictures were posted. Wish I could remember that mans name. He was pushing eighty and had a lot of experience with furs.