Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2015, 00:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: summer critters...
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 00:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Drove the non-freeway highway into the bigger town tonight to pig out celebrating the wifey's b-day. Saw a dead digger feet straight up in the air on the side of the road, not the usual dead coon road kill sight. Got a look at it again on the way back. The front feet looked in good shape. If it wasn't on one of the main roads from my bedroom town and the city and I didn't have to deal with a dead critter that had been sitting in 80 degree temps for a whole day (and 90s tomorrow) and getting rid of the carcass after taking the front feet off, I'd go pick that sucker up and sell the claws on ebay. But no one would understand and I probably don't need to get more of a crazy rep than maybe I have with some already. But it is temping...

Was out at the bro's and SiL's place Sat. evening. After dark when I left and I headed east the way I usually don't go and up about a mile or so from their place, I saw a momma coon and some wee little ones standing on the edge of the gravel next to the ditch grass. I'm convinced that there are a lot more coon now than there ever was historically in South Dakota. Our coons, although they may like trees and being near water, have also adapted well to upland dryland living. They generally live in old badger, jackrabbit, or k-9 holes in a pasture or even the road ditch or in a rural house tree belt. Seen a good number of road killed adult coon as well over the past couple of weeks. Probably with low fur prices, vehicles and distemper are about the only thing the coons have to worry about.

There's now about 6 houses built in the 8 or 9 lot cul-de-sac kitty corner behind us. Behind them is a side slope pasture and then up on top cropland. Usually I hear yote familes yipping it up during the summer and fall (usually later in the summer when the pups are bigger). Haven't heard coyote talking back there since this winter. Don't know if the all construction activity has kept their heads down or they're just being good parents and taking care of the little ones. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months...

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: summer critters...
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 15:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have been seeing some struck critters as well. Saw a tiny fawn, couple of sow coons, one kit coon, couple of kit red fox so far and one muskrat. Such a waste I hate seeing that

Live Free or Die

Post subject: Re: summer critters...
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 01:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Saw a RK Beaver deer and coyote all with in a quarter mile

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9