Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2015, 00:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our new PVC set
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 00:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My brother and i couldnt get into the water per se this season. We had to redo our standard PVC set as its almost impossible to set from the bank. His pipes froze and busted up last year and i had him save the PVC. Most of our sets were from this PVC we salvaged after cutting the 3'-5' sections for bank poles. Its all 1 1/4"OD. Heres what we came up with. The ones with elbows we used as is and pushed them into the creeks as far out as we could reach from the banks. If we kept the elbow about 12"-15"+ above the water our rat catch dropped but if we kept it about 10" above it seemed to catch rats and coons both. The PVC sections without elbows we drilled 1/2" holes (2-4) about 3"-6" below the "top" and plugged the top end hole with grass, dirt etc. we set the trap either directly under the elbow or the drilled holes and mainly used lure. A guy would have the best luck with bait using a paste bait. A few of the traps we used guide sticks but as the season wore on we skipped them and did just as good i think?Personal preference i guess? Our original PVC set the pipe is at an approx 70 degree angle but these we set up straight with no lean. A few we painted black and even a few camo for Johnny sneakum to miss but i think the white is an added attraction. Our catch rate really went up when we gangset 3-6 of these in a smaller area with several doubles and one triple when my brother and nephew ran the line one morning.