Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2015, 21:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Season Draws Near
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 09:33 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, as those of us from here know, the season for the money critters is getting close. I hope all have a safe season.

The spring was ok, but sure turned sour for me. The man I was helping get into trapping has a 10 year old daughter, who was much into the sport, and Mike had never held a trap before. They had a few, so I rounded up some for them to have, some snares and all. I taught her to make some simple lures and she caught critters on them first night with them and was so excited, heck I was too.

Later into the year, I heard the news of a man being killed at The National Guard Office. I knew right off it was him, since he is about the only one that worked there. Sure enough it was. In August, I heard of a plane crash in a particular place. I had talked to James the night before and knew he was going to put a few loads out in a field there. Seems he went under the lines, and was not low enough this one time. He was 72. James was a long time trapper from the old school, and a great man all around.

Needless to say this year has not been full of joy for me, but I figure it happened for a reason. That is why I will tell everyone to be careful. This sport we enjoy is not the safest thing going. Please take the few mins it takes to not let anything happen to you. It is not worth it.

I want to take the time to wish each of you, a very safe, and productive season. I realize that prices are up in the air, and honestly no one knows what they will bring, till the sale. LOL, they may have a good idea, and I am not too crazy about what I have heard, but Sarah and I will go out and get a few to thin down some a little bit. Disease is already in some coon in the north part of the county now. A man found some coons that were not acting right, and he feared rabies. Tests showed it to be distemper, or how ever you spell it.

Good luck, and stay safe!

Now, lets hear your thoughts, goals, and ideas for this season.

Post subject: Re: Season Draws Near
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 19:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Well folks, it is here. Season for the money critters has opened right up, and I for one have not set a trap one for them. I and this is just me, I feel it is too early for my corner of the world. Fur is just not ripe for the picking. Yeah, them yotes may be close, but the cats that I have seen, that were road kills, they are just not there. I am sorry, but I just don't like to pick em green....

I am about to wind up a beaver job, only a single colony, and an down to one big ole male, well, big, he is not that old. I could have so easily gotten him when he threw a small tree across where I have to drive, and he had even cut it to move, but this was on the other mans land, so I didn't get him. I figured when he crossed over, I would nail him. I sure hated to not take advantage of the easy catch but some folks don't think they owe you if you get them across the fence, so I saw no need to nab him that night. LOL, if I have to I will knock on his door, since it is so easy to get to, I just feel it non sporting to set a trap at the hut entrance. Ok, after a week, if I don't catch him, it wont bother me too much to do it, I bet.

I hope all are catching all they can skin and hope each and every one of you are being careful. Please all have a safe season and a shed full of fur.

Also. yall have a good Thanksgiving, and take a few moments and think of what you are thankful for. Remember the ones that have gone on before us.