Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 12:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fisher Sets
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 06:40 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

I have never trapped fisher before but would like to. I have been searching the web for "how to's" and pictures of how to make sets for fisher but can't come up with anything usable. Can anyone help me with links, posts, pictures, tutorials????

Back into trapping after 20 years. Only about 14 traps out for a week.
So far, 3 coons, 2 rats, and the fox and coyote are just laughing at me. No mink yet either.

Help!,

Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 09:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We don't have them down here in Texas, so I can't offer any help. But, I just wanted to say, welcome to the site. Good luck, and we like pics, so take the camera out with ya.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 10:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have not caught one yet but I have been told if you put a 160 body gripper in a cubby box with a gob of beaver meat in the back of the cubby box. That is what they say workes up hear any ways, hopefully it won't be long untill I get one it snowed 2 inches last night and is still comming down so my cubby boxes will be going out soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 13:33 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I had one in my trap that was a buried set. I buried a grouse with the trap set on top of it. Too bad season was not open yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 13:38 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Boomhawr wrote:
We don't have them down here in Texas, so I can't offer any help. But, I just wanted to say, welcome to the site. Good luck, and we like pics, so take the camera out with ya.

Ditto that. Image

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject: thanks for the replies
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 14:06 

I should have mentioned that I am in Maine. Lots of fisher here even around towns. It is amazing how they can adapt to living around homes, businesses, roads, etc. There is also mink, beaver, marten, coons of course, red and grey foxes, yotes - lots of yotes. No wolverines or badgers. I bet they are fun to trap.

I like the pics too so I will try to get some posted for everyone to enjoy.

Still looking for more ideas for fisher sets.

Thanks,

Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 14:24 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

There was a feller from New Zealand I believe that did a lot of fisher trapping, but I don't know where he got to. You may be able to find some of his posts if you you search real hard...

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 16:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Welcome Nelson, I am also from Maine. I run a decent sized fisher and marten line up here in the north country, and it consists of 120's, 160's and 220's. I use my 120's in cubbies that I used to set on the ground, but now set above four feet per our new rules on a leaning pole ( which needs to be smaller than 4.5 inches in diameter and at an angle greater than 45 degrees as per the new law). The 160's and 220's, I also set on a leaning pole, or a curved cedar. I have a few cubbies for them as well, but mostly I just set them on hangers(whichever type you prefer). For bait, alot of the guys up here use chicken that they get on sale, but I prefer something natural and I use the week long early muskrat season to catch enough for bait. Then after I have beaver meat, I replace with that as neccesary. I feel that a good lure is key, and I use one with a heavy dose of skunk. I am trying to figure out the photobucket deal right now, and if I do I will get some pics of my sets.

Otter - 1
Coon - 6
Fisher - 7
Ermine - 3
Mink - 0
Marten - 17
Fox - 0
Coyote - 5
Skunk - 0

Post subject: thanks Chris
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 16:40 

Is the cubby like one for weasels on steriods? If I was going to buy a few conibears for fisher on a limited budget, which would you recommend?

Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 16:51 
Trapper
Trapper

If you are specifically trapping fisher, the 220 is the best in my opinion, but the 160 works well also, and is more likely to have a better catch on the marten. I use mostly a mixed bag that is made up of every brand, but since you mention a limited budget, probably duke would be the way to go. I now Lone Gunman on here runs a shop, and he might be able to get you a catalog. Where in Maine are you? You could come along for a day if your in my area. My cubbies are a four sided box, with the top extending a little further than the other three sides, to aid in keeping out the snow to still let the trap fire, and then a back, often I use wire mesh for the back. Then two grooves in the front for the springs to fit into, as that is what holds the trap. Then, if needed, you can drive a nail into the top or bottom to better stabilize. I will try to get some pictures together for you.

Otter - 1
Coon - 6
Fisher - 7
Ermine - 3
Mink - 0
Marten - 17
Fox - 0
Coyote - 5
Skunk - 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 18:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperchris is right on, here in N.H. the ht is 5ft but other than that he has supplied very good info. when setting bait set so the cat has to go through body gripper (trap) to get at bait. they are very sneaky and will make every attempt to bypass conibear and get a free lunch. the lean pole set works great good luck and welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 19:04 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

I've got a cubby I'm hoping to set this weekend for fisher. Might also do a pole set after reading this. Question, how do you keep the 220 on the pole, but so that it falls off once the trap fires? :?

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 19:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LOL I can picture a few ways just cant seem to translate the visual to words as funny as that may seem. im working on it as to give you a good idea to what i mean. give me a day or so. plus im sure you/me will get other great ideas here shortly from others.

Post subject: location in Maine
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 06:39 

Chris,

I am in Brunswick. My line consist of traps in Brunswick, N. Yarmouth, and Westbrook (my travel route to work). There are some nice fisher in Westbrook, believe it or not. Last year a local trapper got one so big he said he was going to have it mounted. He showed me the fur, very nice.

Your description of the cubby was very good. I assume the bait goes in the box and is protected by the wire mesh on the back side so he can't sneak around and steal it. As far as trap maker, I just bought a doz 1.75 Duke double coils for fox, etc. to save money. For the price, it is a very well made trap and 50 bucks less than Victor. I have some older type square jaw victor #2's that I am having a lot of pull-outs. My local supplier (Oscar Cronk) said they are a bad design and are known for pull-outs. I am rusting up the new traps now for dying soon. I'll let you know how they work compaired to the older ones (soon to be retired to Muskrat drowning sets).

Thanks again for the information.

Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 07:53 

mod3006 wrote:
skin this one pilgrim and i'll get you another.

:) from one of my all time favorite movies list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 11:42 
Trapper
Trapper

That is also one of my favorites, and couldn't believe it when I found the DVD copy to add to my collection. As for the hangers ADKsasquatch, you can go as simple as 4 nails in a rectangular fashion that is the right width to fit just inside the jaws of the trap. This is a fairly slow process as it takes a lot of time to get the nails in a good location to hold the trap firmly in place, but make sure they do not hinder the traps ability to fire. They also sell a pre made hanger, that you just nail on the tree and go, but that is a little pricey for my taste, so my friend is old tongue and groove boards that I cut into strips. I use the grove to rest the upper jaw in, and leave the strip just wide enough so that the bottom jaw fits just under it. Drill a hole in the center for a nail, and you are ready to go.
Nelson, I guess that would be a long ride to Fort Kent to go trapping, but good luck, and it looks like you already have your locations picked, so that is good. Now all you need is to get that steel out there.

Otter - 1
Coon - 6
Fisher - 7
Ermine - 3
Mink - 0
Marten - 17
Fox - 0
Coyote - 5
Skunk - 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 15:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes a great movie have the DVD. saw it with my dad in the old local theater when it first came out.

Post subject: Re: Fisher Sets
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 22:08 

Nelson,
I'm new to trapping, but here's what I have done. Make some wooden box cubbies out of scrap boards. I have four boxes, each are just wide enough to fit a 160 coni jaw. 220's might be a better choice. I have made a couple nice catches right behind the head. The boxes are 3+ feet long. I cut slots about 7 inches back into opposite sides of each end for the springs. Leave the ends of the box completely open. Pound a nail through the bottom in about the center of the box to stick the bait through. Fishers are basically bigger weasels so think bloody, though I guess they'll eat about anything. I dont know if there is any advantage to having the trigger on top or bottom. I like to stick the ends of pine tree branches, busted up, or grass, under the jaws on each end and I pound a large brad (U shaped nail) into the top of the box at each end and wire the chain to the brad. To hold the traps more firmly in place, I like to find sticks that are about the right diameter and push em through the spring holes.
Try locations in spruce bogs and dense pine forests and/or in tag alder adjacent to pine stands. Good luck man!
Anyone got any improvements or criticism of my cubby...please tell me!

Last edited by TrapperAL on 03 Feb 2010, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fisher Sets
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 06:40 

Thanks for digging up this old post from two seasons ago. I have since figured out how to make and set for fisher and still haven't caught any. I live in an area that doesn't have a resident population of them. 20 miles down the road they catch them and even across town they do but on my side of the river, not so much. I tried up country for a month this season and didn't connect with fisher or cat but did catch a mink, coon, and skunk up there. Hardly worth the trip but had a great time. Thanks again for the info and breathing some life back into this old post. :D

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.