Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 12:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 20:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Here's a great example of room saving space for your fur shed. Countless times I have simply used nails to hang up my traps. Not this year. My trap collection has grown like mustard weeds in a crop field. No way was 50 some odd nails and a mixed group of traps was going to clutter up my shed this season. That's when the light bulb went on. It started with a few dozen fox/coyote/bobcat traps and their drags. The same large nails that use to support these traps (minus some 3 dozen), now support a dozen or so grapples. Two prong or three prong, it doesn't matter which ever you have.

An error in this past '07 trapping pre-season purchase led me to the use of drags. I needed some more and bought a dozen while on Ebay. Unfortunately, the description was vague and I bought too small of a drag for the intended furbearers. It wasn't until this Spring that while I was bombarded with more traps (something I seem to purchase at free-will), that these small 3 prong drags made a dismal situation into a revolutionary idea - well, maybe not to that extreme. But anyway, though I had been using larger grapples only for the larger species, I was surprised as to how many traps these held little ones held. Depending on the trap size, these 6 inch (3) prong drags will hold up to 4 dozen Conibears. Best of all, now I don't have a nail head to contend with either. Sometimes the head would prevent a ring or two to release freely and I'd have a mess of traps with no end. When I go 'yote trapping, I just grab a hanging grapple with the four dozen traps that it supports and I am off for parts,,, only I know.

I hope this information finds room in your fur shed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2007, 04:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Excellent idea! I made the same mistake and purchased drags too small for my intent with winter canine trapping.

Jonathan