Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 06:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 23:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i did this little video and i know it belongs in the fur handleing section but i wanna make sure that the newer members that are completely new to trapping can see this. this is just how i was taught and it looks good on wire stretchers and even better on wood. hope yall enjoy!

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee68/BigMoo24/?action=view&current=127_0517.flv

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 01:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice job BM. Funny, I was expecting a pronounced east coast accent. Just skinned my first rats this year. Wish all the critters were that easy, especially otters!!

When asking, "What would Jesus do?", it's OK to throw a fit and toss tables and chairs around. John 2:15
If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 07:10 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks BigMoo, I enjoyed that video very much. Muskrats are not in my area of Texas, I did go with a coastal trapper once who dealt mostly with muskrats and nutria. Again, thanks for taking the time to post the video.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 07:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Great video. :)

1-skunk
10-grey fox
1-red fox
0-marshrats
0-mink
0-coyotes

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 10:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Scoop- we dont ahve an otter season here but when i worked at the Fur Post we did get some Ohio otters. and now im glad we dont ahve a season cause they were a bigger pain than the toughest beaver, the worst scratch back coon, and the thinnest grinner ever all combined into one. and its kinda hard to have an accent with a lip of Cope lol

it took me several days to finally get it loaded. internet kept losin receptiong and would interupt the loading of it. i wish i would ahve thought of this sooner or i would have done a coon one too.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 11:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey MOO, what part of PA are you in?

1-skunk
10-grey fox
1-red fox
0-marshrats
0-mink
0-coyotes

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 11:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Crawford County over by Pymatuming. were the next town over from Linesville.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

If'n you do a coon, would you mind hunting down a tripod for the camera? Maybe a camera man? Or woman. You must be single if you can afford a lip full of Cope. At least the price is coming down. Used to be 8.50 a can, now down to 5 bucks. Still not as cheap as Grizzly. :D

When asking, "What would Jesus do?", it's OK to throw a fit and toss tables and chairs around. John 2:15
If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

rats i do on a table of bench. the only reason it was like that. em pretty much done coon trappin right now unless i find sign when im trappin beaver then ill be sure to find a camera somethin to hold it cause my skinning chain is on the other side of the grauge. :roll: yea i am single and not payin back student loads till March helps but Cope is only like 6 something when you get a deal on 2 tins. 1 tin is 4 and change i believe. no that im excouragin anyone to stat Dippin but it keeped me calm in school when i was studyin so i didnt freak out and throw my book at the wall and start watchin tv. :shock:

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes, it does have that soothing effect. I gotta chew cheap. Pre-divorce=1 can a week Post-divorce=4 cans a week. I think maybe it's time to slow down again.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

im the same way with work. it helps pass the 12 hour shifts

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 13:11 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Good post BigMoo :D . It would have been nice to have had this internet thingy when I started. A picture is worth a thousand words so I'm guessing you did a pretty fair sized novel there.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 13:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i just winged it and what you see is what you get after a few thousand rats later :roll:

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 21:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Awesome video moo! Puts me in the mood to catch some rats darn it. Beautiful fur on em. I'd love to make a bed comforter out of muskrat fur, that'd be heavenly. But anyway copes a couple cents over four dollars here in town (tax included). Can't do without it. The way I see it if there weren't women in the world, I wouldn't even know what chaw is!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 22:22 

I don't chew that [stuff in a pile behind a cow] but you guys could each send me a few cans cause it's like $20 up here.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 10:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is why I quit chewin cause with all the extra taxes they put on it the little half cans of skoal were almost $10 and I love nicotien but I am way to cheep to pay $10 for apple skoal.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 16:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i nurse it as much as possible. a can could last a week and a half if im not workin or anything.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 23:21 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Good film Moo, now if I can just catch one. Though, I may have a new spot.... :roll:

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 13:53 
Trapper
Trapper

Big moo that is very good info. wish i had them around me,I hear they make good Marten bait :!:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 18:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

your welcome Jase. i used to hang rats and took me forever to skin one and i usually ended up pullin the belly apart and have guts hangin all over and it was hard to work with. so after some practice and new methods i could do one in 4 but i dont like to rush it. if i dont have time ill make time to do them the next day. they stay on a cold concrete floor pretty well and make sure you turn them belly side up if your gonna let them sit. if not then they get what i call "Green Belly" from the guts. and another thing about puttin them up is that if i do get one that has Green Belly i have rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and i give them a shot when i put them up. it kills the bacteria that causes it to rot. i do the same thing with coon only all over and then i scrap it down with a knife. it keeps a good clean pelt for drying. and i think it helps dry faster if there scraped. it takes off all the little peices and smears of fat. and world record muskrat skinning is held by a woman from New Jersey, she skins one in less than 12 seconds. :shock: :shock: :shock: same method only way faster.

GVT- i believe they would make good marten bait. jsut like a beaver would. pretty much the same critter... only not. there probably the most used for mink bait as far as i know. a big mink will take rats on a regualy basis. they can destry whole colonys if they want. had one of ours eatin by one after it was aleady caught. so i got even and caught the mink. lol

and we dont have nutria in my area but from what little i do understand of them this method would work for them too.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 22:05 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Jase told me of this post today, don't know how I missed it the first time around but suspect that there was a lot of stuff I missed during this time frame. Great video Moo! Thanks for posting it, I had no idea other than what I read about how to skin a rat.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 09:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

it does take a bit to get used to cause its not hung up but after a few you kinda get the feel for it and it makes it much easier. the day i did the video i did 23 in 2 hours just takin my time. so you can do alot faster than if you hung each one.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 20:46 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I have 2 that I need to thaw out and get on the wire, but instead of doing that today I put out a few more sets. Hopefully it all pays off. :roll: :lol: THANKS again!!!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]