Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobby to Business
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 11:29 
Trapper
Trapper

I am going to talk to the people that do my taxes but I thought I would throw this out. At what time do you go from "hobby" to business ? I took the classes and got my license. Bought some traps and made some contacts. I have only gotten a couple jobs but am gong to place some adds in local paper. Basically I am testing the waters to see if there is enough work for me to go forth with the whole official business. NH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 18:03 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Word of mouth is good advertisement too. The folks that you are helping out with the stinkers are surely talking about you and sooner or later someone will remember the conversation when it is their turn. Are you gonna quit your "day job" and go into the adc business full time?

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 05:41 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

good luck with your venture. I am looking into it in Maine. The warden I talked to said they don't like people to make a living with animal control. Kind of ironic seeing that is what he does. Anyway, I am looking forward to getting the paperwork started. The warden told me there is a big need for it in my area and that most of the calls they receive are for nuisance animals.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 06:59 
Trapper
Trapper

I do not plan on giving up my day job just yet. I do believe that this can turn into a decent part time business. The place I work at is very flexible.If I have to come in late or leave early I usually have no problem as long as I make up my hours. There are several people in the state ( NH ) that make there living doing just this. Most of the money comes from the exclusion end of the business. Heck, if I can make enough money to pay my property taxes I would be as happy as can be. Plus , with having a business you can deduct certain expenses which is a bonus in itself. In New Hampshire I am a licensed Wildlife Control Operator. I had to take a class for WCO and one to get my trapping license. That was it. NH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 09:41 

In Maine they call it ADC (Animal Damage Control). I don't remember the warden saying there is a class but he did say I had to meet with the biologist and get a warden to sign off on my application. I already have a trapping license so I won't have to take that class. I think you are right, If I make enough to help out with expenses it would be worth it because I enjoy working with animals so much it will be more like play.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 23:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It depends on whether you want to keep books & possibly deduct part of your buisness expences. 1. A Hobby is just that, you cannot deduct anything invested in a hobby. While a Buisness is deductable, but you will have to keep books.

Mink -
Muskrats -
coons - 6
Gfox -

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 16:30 
Trapper
Trapper

I will have to see where this goes. I have talked to the police in two towns and the local CO but things are slooow. I do have one job that has been interesting and if I could get ten of them a year I would be happy. I will get a sign for my truck and post flyer's at the local country store and post office. This is a rural area that is just full of "affluent retirees". I truly feel that once I get my name established that I will have more steady business. Heck, so far I have paid for my traps and license fees and then some. I am definitely game to give it more time.

Post subject: ADC
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 20:51 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

my very first post!! ADC is all about marketing, business strategy, trapping skill, and professionalism. i have done all of my business through newspaper ads alone. This year im gonna do the YELLOW BOOK AND YELLOW pages for my area.... There is HUGE revenue potential in this job field. Good luck :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 07:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Welcome Bud25, Hopefully you can share some more marketing skills & tips with some of us that may not be too savvy in that area.

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 21:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hey nh dont be suprised if it remains slow for a while i spent a year of busting my back side befor it got buisy if you hang in there the buisness will come i started out in the paper also putting up fliers in the surrounding towns every month at every feed store pet store and ma and pa stores also contact your local stock yards and pass out buisness cards the buisness will come good luck

Post subject: ADC
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 21:44 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

thanks... yeah i got it figured out about advertising and networking... say you dont have any referrals for southern MN by chance do you?? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 11:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks PK, I need all the encouragement I can get. Right now I really need to work out how much to charge & when , so I don't end up driving my tail off and not making squat!. If I hear of any business in Mn I will send it to ya Bud25

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 17:11 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

thank you kind sir... i will do the same

Post subject: Re: Hobby to Business
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 21:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I know some of the posts here are pretty old, but I have started a business here in Northwest Florida. We are only required to purchase a trapper license and register on the Florida Wildlife Commission web site as a nuisance animal trapper.
I am also requesting a permit to use steel traps for nuisance animal removal.
I applied for an LLC so I can use my expenses for tax purposes. I too still have my day job but am making contacts with condo associations, sherrifs dept. city officials etc.
This is fun for me, but it runs in my family.
My brother worked with the Fl. Wildlife Commission for over 35 years as the most senior wildlife technician in the state of Florida. There was nothing that he couldn't catch.
He passed away in Dec. 07, and I have dedicated my new company in his memory.
I'll be posting more often on some of the other forums and let you know about the Florida critters.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 22:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

good luck and best of wishes to ya tj and im realy looking forward to seeing some florida critters by the way welcome to the site

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 13:13 
Trapper
Trapper

business cards are real good people have a hard time remembering a name or number , and i have found that even if they dont call you back sometimes they pass it on and you can get good work that way

"I profess Christianity the Bible way, therefore i pray for guidance and help on my trapline. But God expects us to do as much as we can, like finding the set locations and making a workable set. having everything done that is as far as we can go. Just like the farmer he sows the seed, but God gives the increase."
Quote from : Mel Hershberger.
One of the worlds greatest cat trappers and one of my hero's

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010, 03:35 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

You've got me interested to see how this goes for you. I don't know how much of your community uses it but you could try posting an add on Craigslist under the services section.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010, 07:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Juxtaposition109 wrote:
You've got me interested to see how this goes for you. I don't know how much of your community uses it but you could try posting an add on Craigslist under the services section.

Here is a website of one of our members in FL who does this sort of work...haven't heard from him in quite some time...MIG ROD

http://www.migrod.citymax.com/page/page/5124462.htm