Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beaver elimination
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 22:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i talked to a guy today and he has a serious beaver problem. i need to get the majority of the beaver if not all of the beaver out of the pond

my main problem is he has two golden retrievers that swim in the pond every day what can i do to prevent catching them if i need to he can keep them locked up for over night but they will still get to it sometime during the day if i set them off in the morning and go back and set them before dark will that work or should i just use blind sets at the entrance of the den and not have any bait set's

coyotes: 23
Badger: 4
coon 127
beaver: 8
mink: 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009, 16:20 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I would think that if he wants the beaver gone that he could somehow restrict the dogs from the pond. That is gonna suck if you have to trip your sets every morning and redo them every afternoon. Plus the extra activity may very well put the beaver on edge. If you catch one Hemphillcreek is looking for one. Good luck!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009, 23:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well, not to sound ugly, but is this fellow running his place or are the two dogs? Put the dogs up and let you take care of the beaver or let the dogs run loose and enjoy the beaver. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 10:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Clay , you should be able to put some coni's on stanlizers at the den entranceof the dens. Use a dive stick to keep the dogs away from the trap. Your state regs might say you can't trap dens, but if your doing control work that regs probably doesn't apply! In maryland, when your doing control work you can use all kinds is methods to catch animals that a recreational trapper can't (snares, setting traps in close proximity to dwellings, ect) make you dive stick is big enough the dogs won't try to retrieve it . you can even put some fenceing under the water to detour the dogs just some thoughts. Good luck, TS

40 rats
7 coon
2 feral cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 12:23 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Well, not to sound ugly, but is this fellow running his place or are the two dogs? Put the dogs up and let you take care of the beaver or let the dogs run loose and enjoy the beaver. :wink:

Swamp said it all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 16:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey I am just starting out but it sounds like this guy will have you working your rear off. I think you will have to set some parameters with him. Let us know how you work it out. NH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009, 17:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Might look at this thread and see if it might be anything that would help. Maybe afew others could give their thoughts on this in your situation.

http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/foru ... 6428#56428

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 11:54 
Trapper
Trapper

I like the float idea. I live near, and cross daily , the Connecticut River. I can trap the river and its tributaries without any written permission as long as I do not tie off or drive stakes on dry land. Now we are talking a very large trapping area that I can easily access with my bass boat. Hence I could set out many float type traps that could be maintained with relative ease ( and maybe bag a goose while I'm at it). Thanks for the idea Boomhawr. I like it. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 11:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your welcome, anytime.

Just for clarification, though, you do mean SHOOT a goose, not bag it in the float, right? Just incase some yahooo is reading this.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 13:53 
Trapper
Trapper

I guess you could read that post like that , But you knew what I was thinking right? The fall is a very busy time for me and many on this forum. Yes we are out setting traps. We are also out on the water fishing and waterfowl hunting. We run the woods in search of pheasants, grouse, squirrels, turkeys, deer and bear. If I was to go out in my boat to set some float traps and it just so happened that it coincided with waterfowl season, you know I would be packing the ol shotgun incase I kicked up a duck or goose. That is my idea of multi-tasking. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 14:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I know. I just figured with some of the things that have happened here in the past (like and anti slipping threw the cracks) that I'd get that specified.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:01 
Trapper
Trapper

If you can I would bust three good holes in the dam and set a coni per hole. I you fence it right they will try to block the dam hole, not the trap. I got two big ones last week this way, and if the pond is overfilled this takes some of the stress off of the berm.