Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 14:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: leg traps
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 13:56 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I have been trapping iguanas in south Fl. When I first started I was using both snares and live Havahart traps. I was more successful with snares but had to stop as I was neck snaring over concrete seawalls and causing to many deaths upsetting my customers even though were euthanizing anyway. You have to understand most of my work is in residential areas.I had to come up with a new plan as we cannot relocate back into florida as they are non native species. I found a reptile farm that was relocating iguanas outside of florida as many as I could catch live. I am back to using Havahart traps,but not as high success. I watched a video about leg catch steel traps not harming animals caught, as the sound on the video was low I didnt get the whole story, if there is a trap like this do you think its worth a try for me? I could only use them where I can be sure non target animals and chidren would not be an issue, I would greatly appreciate any help you know of or any Ideas you have that may help. Thankyou and I really appreciate being here. Skip

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 14:15 
I would check with Florida trapping regulations. I believe you can only use the foothold traps on land with special permits and they have to be softcatch, thought I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that somewhere.

Tube traps might be a better choice for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 17:16 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanks for email reply your right. I dont know what a tube trap is, or we call it something differant down here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 17:27 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I found out what a tube trap is, I have to live trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 20:13 
Hmm... Then havaharts and clamshells are your only option. Most clamshells are big though, for beaver and stuff.

What are you using for bait?

Post subject: bait for iguanas
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 10:06 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Iguanas are vegetarians I have been using romain lettuce,spinage,bananas,with a little banana extra, with luck,not as much as I would like. This is why I was asking about colors, do iguanas seek food by sight or smell?or both. I had success using watermellon, but had to stop as I was trapping squirrels due to the seeds. Red fruit seems to attract them better, I have used Hibiscus flowers with luck guess what they were red. Thankyou for responding. P.S some S Americans say they taste like chicken,I haven,t tried it yet but I will, Alligator tail good, tastes like fishy chicken. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 22:19 
Yes, the green iguana is a vegetarian. Romaine lettuce is good, as are strawberries and tomatos. Most reptiles respond to the color red, that's why most commercial foods have a lot of red in them to try and entice them.

Another good bait is Tofu. Don't be afraid to puree some of the greens and reds into a slurry and douse your lettuce with it. This will bring out some of the aroma.

Reptiles hunt as much by scent as anything, but site plays an important role once they get to the food.

Post subject: iguanas
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007, 17:57 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Lil Bit wrote:
Yes, the green iguana is a vegetarian. Romaine lettuce is good, as are strawberries and tomatos. Most reptiles respond to the color red, that's why most commercial foods have a lot of red in them to try and entice them.

Another good bait is Tofu. Don't be afraid to puree some of the greens and reds into a slurry and douse your lettuce with it. This will bring out some of the aroma.

Reptiles hunt as much by scent as anything, but site plays an important role once they get to the food.
Thankyou you helped answer a couple of Questions, I was on the right track just not positive, I like your slurry hint, will let you know as soon as weather warms up, it has to get in the 80s for their metabolsm to rise so they can digest food and poop, there is aspot where I can just sit and watch them. A quick story, I had gotten a little to sure of myself as far as handling them goes, I had handled over 100 without an incident of any kind. One day Boca Raton PD called for help getting a 6 footer out of middle of main road, no problem used a catch pole, put him in back of my truck,took him back to my office where I have a holding cage, this is where I was being dumb as I was not wearing my 18 in kevlar gloves, his hind claws opened up my left forearm in four places, wont do that again and I should no better. Thankyou again. SKIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007, 20:44 
Oh yee gads!!! An adult male can be a real mean one to handle. Mine bit the nose off of my friend after he worked himself up infront of a mirror.... she just has a little scar now where they sewed her nose back on.