Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 09:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Client concerns...
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 20:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Any of you folks in the animal control field ever had a client, in this case a homeowner with a skunk under their deck, ask you what you're going to do with the trapped animal?

They didn't want the skunk hurt...the cage trap I'm using won't hurt the skunk of course, but if it was later in the season and the fur more prime, any pest I trapped for someone would end up drying in the shed.

I don't think the skunk will be worth dispatching, so I told them I'd try to release it in the woods.

Normally I'm pretty open and I kinda hate lying to people. I'm charging a pretty small fee (10 bucks when I catch it); fur and a few ounces of musk goes a long way towards making a profit. I'm afraid if too many people thought the "...cute little black and white skunk..." would end up hanging in my shed, they wouldn't call me to handle their problem.

How do other pest trappers deal with people's concerns like that?

P.S. I had this same person call me last year for another skunk--a good sized one. I'll let you guess where it ended up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 21:13 
In my state, you cannot relocate animals. They have to either be a: Dispatched on site, or b: released on site. I make this clear to homeowners, and often do my animal removals as a two part deal.

The first part is the animal removal, which results in me humanely dispatching the animal. With skunks, that means a lethal, ethical, andhumane euthanasia.

The second part is exclusion. That means fixing the foundation of whatever building their dens under so that they won't. Sometimes this is as easy as repairing foundation covering, or as complicated as removing a small amount of sod (12 inches) from the foundation and laying chicken wire before replacing the sod (the wire irritates their claws and they stop digging).

If they aren't okay with this, then I don't do the job, because to do anything other than what's listed above isn't going to fix the problem, and would be against the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 15:39 
Trapper
Trapper

MEtrapper I guess you could ask your client if there was somone in particular that you should release this suburban skunk nest too.

Another thought too if he wants you to transport a live skunk I think I would want more money than that what if the stinker lets you or the vehicle have it? I sure as **** wouldn't be happy with 10 dollars then personally I don't think I'd set a trap on purpose for a skunk for less than 40 dollars unless it was family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006, 07:15 
Trapper
Trapper

It was a family friend..the fee is normally higher than 10 bucks, and I charge for mileage (especially if I release anything). Although its not illegal to relocate animals to uninhabited areas, I dislike doing it.

The exclusion will be handled by them. They know they need to fix the lattice work or extend some chicken wire under the ground so skunks cannot dig under...not part of my services.

I caught it last night actually. A small skunk not worth harvesting anyway. Dispatching skunks has never been a problem, and in the cage trap they can be drowned easily after making a (mostly) watertight plywood box.

This was the first person I'd encountered who cared what happened to the animal. Most people just want it gone and are agreeable to whatever I have in mind, which they never ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006, 10:43 
Well, in instances like that, I would probably have reminded them that over 37% of skunks in my state tested positive for rabies last year, and to release it would either likely doom it to contract rabies, or let it infect other animals that could cause potential harm to others, and even you. Then, I'll give them a card to the board of health, in case they want to check it out, but usually at that point, they say, "Oh. Dear. And it was living under our house!? It MUST have rabies. Please, get rid of it."

Not a lie. A fact. I find that you don't need to lie in situations like this. The truth is scary enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006, 19:13 
Trapper
Trapper

Good fact to remember...thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006, 19:32 
I believe it's Iowa that puts out a great pamphlet on common diseases that raccoons, skunks, and other animals carry that are transmittable to humans. It's a one page pamphlet, and if I could get downstairs, I'd confirm it for you, but I'm pretty sure it's Iowa. Anyway, I hand those out when I do a job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 09:54 
Trapper
Trapper

I have had a few clients who "don't want it hurt". In NY you can relocate with the permission of the land owner where you will be releasing the critter. I live on a large (for NY) farm of 357 acres and release some of the critters on my land. As for those I don't want to release on my land I simply tell the client that I will be humanely removing the problem from thier hands. If they push the issue I ask them to find a place to release it, like a friend's land, and give them the choice to find a place or the critter will be euthanized humanely. If they don't ask what I will do with it after the removal I don't mention it so they don't dwell on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 12:12 
Trapper
Trapper

When asked if I'll relocate a skunk or any animal I tell them yes. I then relocate them to Jesus. most don't care that state law requires them to be put down and swear they wouldn't tell a soul. but the laws the law.
Once you've left the job do whats needed to stay within the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 14:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I couldn't agree more, but here in the capital of liberalism known as the People's Republic of New York, I have to do the legal requirements and keep the mundanes happy. Oh for the days when we could just pop the critter, bury it and be done.