Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 05:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gaining permission
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 20:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Seems as though there are alot of trappers that have a problem with finding new places to trap or gaining permission to trap land. When I moved here 7 yrs. ago, the only place I got permission to trap was from my neighbor, a farmer. Since then and mostly due to him I now have to sit and plan my trap line because it involves over 50 farms and about 150 miles. How did I get this done? Every day I trapped on my neighbors farm, I would stop in and talk to him whether I caught something or not. And when I did catch something, (coyotes mostly) he showed more enthusiasim than I did. Little did I know that his network of other farmers, feed mill hands, fuel dilivery drivers, milk haulers friends, relatives and such were 100 fold larger than mine because I had just moved in and was a unknown trapper. At the end of my first season trapping his land I had taken 11 coyote, 3 grey fox and over 3 dz. big fat coon. Not going to mention the 13 stinkers. I was content as all get out. But things were going to improve. As spring rolled around, then summer and well into the fall and dead of winter I was getting phone calls from farmers wanting critters gone. Coon out of the graineries and hay mows. Skunks from under the machine shed. Coyotes out of the patures. weasel out of the chickens. All because I stopped everyday and talked to the 1 person who gave me permission We built a strong friendship. Now he asks for some of my business cards when going to an auction. I don't ask him too. He wants to. Why? After that first year was done I took the largest coyote pelt I got from his land and had it tanned and gave it to him as a "thanks". The following year he recieved a beautiful cherry red fox, then a black coon.
Guesss what I'm taking my time saying is that if someone gives you permission to trap their place, stop and visit whenever you can. They like to hear and see what your doing. And, if you do catch something, give something back to the land....owner, in the form of a tanned critter. Chances are your phone will be ringing off the hook if you set this one just right.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 20:53 
Trapper
Trapper

sounds like ya did right by the farmer, had 1 old gentleman,now deceased, that I would always stop at on the way out,no matter if I had a catch or not. the second year I trapped his place,he said why dont ya take the 4wheeler when its wet instead of walking.he then proceeded to show me where he kept the key& then asked how do ya catch those yotes anyway? so I took him & showed him my methods,along with locations. He would run the traps& reset them,call me to pick them up,wouldn't take any portion of the catch. gave him something to do. I miss him,got to be like a grandfather to me. Off season took him fishing as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 22:42 
Sometimes, it backfires though. I lost a good chunk of property this year because a Farmer's kid wants to trap it instead. I hope he does it right, well and enjoys it, but a little piece of me wishes I hadn't lost it. It was a good property to trap. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 00:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

steelewalker,great post i think.it is important to remember to do those things,it will make them happy just to know what you are doing.and that you take to the time to talk to them will make it even better

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 00:45 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

"GOIN' FOR A LOOKSEE"

I LOVE that tagline! Wish I'd have thought of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 15:27 
Trapper
Trapper

Great topic. Well stated. It does not take much to go a long way. I am 31. Been trapping since 17, hunting since 6, and fishing since 3. I know the outdoors. I know people. Most of all I know respect. I treat others how I would expect to be treated. The land is alway better AFTER I leave it. I don't woo landowners or try buttering them up. On the other hand every year they receive x-mas cards, smoked goose/salmon, venison sticks/sausage, etc. Just little things that really do go a long ways, they are inexpensive and easy. I believe in and enjoy the landowner or sometimes their kids tagging along. Some have even taken up some of the sports since allowing me on their land. I am a certified WI trappers ed. instructor. I am on the WTA's site to mentor for 5 counties in WI. These are all things that I enjoy to do, but ultimately end up gaining me more permissions than I can use. I think permissions are easier to get in some areas than others, but if you work at it, it should be obtainable almost anywhere. One thing to keep in mind, we are a huge minority. There are over 5.5 million residents in wisconsin, less than 9000 are trappers, that means less than .2% of wisconsin traps. We need to be very consciencious of what we do, and how we do it. Always ask permission, and remember legal does not mean ethical. If given a chance take someone else on a portion of your line, it may mean a loss of a little ground, but it may add a friend to your list, and add another trapper to help us fight. WTA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 16:04 
Trapper
Trapper

steelwalker, where you from, I am in chippewa falls.

Lil'bit-it stinks to lose ground, but maybe it will add another trapper to the ranks, hope your recovery is going well dear.

WTA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 16:15 
:) Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 19:32 
Trapper
Trapper

My son(17) went out looking for permisson tonight to trap and hunt. He went to six different places, farmers and other land owners. He only got turned down by one, because the guy already had three people bow hunting there. Most of the people were glad to have someone try to get rid of the coons and deer. I'm glad he's got his head on straight and has his priorities straight.