Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 22:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 17:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I sold 10 out of my 12 coon hides at NAFA today for a $15.05 average before commission. I'll take that most weeks, especially after last year. I just wish I had more of what I sent, minus a couple :wink: !

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 21:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

congrats Non ,that aint bad...

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 20:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Chief! The other two duds went pt today so they dropped by average to $13.20. That's still a 55% improvement after the dismal 2016 auction season.

One guy on tman from Illinois, who I think is also a buyer, said that the garment makers now can cherry-pick the cherry-picked coon that were sent to auction and keep things depressed. Probably true but that's the way things are in lots of commodities. Things don't stay the same over time, some sort of change usually happens, and many times it isn't towards improving things. All I know is that raccoons aren't going away, barring some exotic disease that gets brought in, anytime soon in North America. My advice to young guys starting out is learn how to adc trap coon as well as more traditional "traplines". There will be more and more coons vs. homeowners in the future and people will pay for someone to get rid of their critter headache. People change ecosystems. Raccoons are one of the winners of a changed temperate North American ecosystem. If people would kill each other off without destroying everything else, coons and coyotes would probably be running things here...

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 11:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NAFA cleared all 20 pieces I shipped to them this year in a single auction, something that hasn't happened for about 3 or more years. My coons averaged $13.21, my muskrats $3.50, and my possum $2.60. Trappers always hope for higher prices but I'll take these. They were certainly better than last year. Not all years are "boom" years, not all years are "bust", there are a lot more of typical ones in any sort of commodity production. The reality of life...

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 21:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Count your lucky stars for that, that's not bad on coon. As i predicted beaver was down 50 to 60 % from FHA sale in Jan. From my 28.50 average to this Nafa sale were my chum and I beavers went for 13.00 average. Just pitiful. There is a lot of stink going on up here about Nafa's late sales and hopefully they go back to their Feb or march sale. FHA beat them hands down this year. Seems timing is everything. As for myself at this sale I did very well. $102 average on marten, $91.97 average on fisher and $25.00 average on mink and the beaver was a bust. Lesson learned for next year, Jan sale and feb or march sale nothing after that for beaver. Not one muskrat sold. Anyway we have the summer to think things out and make new strategies.

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 20:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Not one muskrat sold...that's a shame..coon and rats are the bread and butter where I trap...

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 23:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes chief I here you on that. I am blessed to have 10 species of animal to trap and one would think with that many a few will still bring good prices. Most times its a trade off, lose here gain there. Sometimes its all win. But like yourself with coon and muskrat as your bread and butter and with terrible market conditions on both right now, its a hard pill to swallow to justify going after them. Marten prices are still good as well as yotes, TT should have done well if he got any this year. I trapped only a few species this year that had promise of decent prices. The rest will be bigger and more of next year. :--)

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 06:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf by the pic.s you post of your beaver this season I would have thought they were worth more that 13 bucks for darn sure.

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 01:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chieftain wrote:
wolf by the pic.s you post of your beaver this season I would have thought they were worth more that 13 bucks for darn sure.

They were in Jan sale and March sale from FHA, but not in May sale from both Nafa or FHA. Again timing is the key