Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 05:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 02:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well guys it's been awhile last year I posted s few times, but Molly and I got a snow machine and r running a bigger line this yeAr with a friend and co worker. I set 7 beaver sets last Monday get to check them this Monday hopefully with some good luck. Setting 10 more lodges this weekend. November 10 everything else opens up. I plan on doing some pre season prep on the line just finished boiling traps tonight at 11:30. Pumped to get out and check some traps!!!! Saw wolf otter Lynx marten mink fox and coyote sign on the line should be a good year!!!!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 06:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome back scunfur (& Molly), we look forward to your reports from Alaska.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 19:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome back scunfur. Best of luck to ya on ur line! :D

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 19:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sounds like fur on the stretchers.....good hearing from you.....

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 21:30 

Glad to see you back Scott.

I'd love to see some pics from your Alaska adventures.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2016, 19:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good to have you back and by the sounds of things Molly will be busy skinning. Good luck this season.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 00:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

First check with 4 big beaver 40-60 lbers. I also shot a fox over my fix pro. Rest of the animals open up for trapping this Thursday. Headed out to check traps with Molly and my friend Scott G. And set fox marten otter wolf coyote mink and muskrat!!!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 12:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

We look forward to your stories and some pictures.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 22:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We had another great day on the line. 4 otters and 5 beaver. We reset all our sets, and Nov 10 was our general opener for predators, only thing that is still closed is lynx, which opens dec 10 I believe. We set 6 martin boxes, 5 weasel boxes, several mink sets, a few muskrat baited coni-bear sets, a few snares for wolf and a foothold for fox. We ran out of light to set anything else. Pictures will hopefully come soon. No longer have a computer so this is far to do on my phone....

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 19:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks you had another good haul. Keep at her.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2016, 13:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

beautiful cold day on the trap line this week. Started the day with an otter, so far 3 for 3 critters out of this set. had a weasel in one of our boxes. We learned some valuable lessons on the muskrat. First you must be careful with the spud bar breaking the ice or you ruin what ever you have caught :? ... second we need a more effiecent way to get through the ice. (my chain saw wouldn't start for us....) 3rd our ice is still building fast so we need to have our traps deeper under the ice, half of them had the springs atleast semi frozen or in a block of ice from the last week of cold weather... So they are all set deeper now to hopefully have a few rats for next week. but we caught 2 muskrats. We decided this trip to bring our dogs with us on the line and the whole time we were checking the muskrat sets they were on edge, and we were near some snares I set. The excitement got to us so we stopped what we were doing and walked ahead to check the snares and BOOOM FIRST WOLF!! big male about 90-100 lbs i am about 6'4" and I held his legs above my head and his head was still on the ground! He was alive when we came up to the set, so I dispatched him and we moved on to the next sets. We had one more beaver and a bunch of fresh wolf sign and fox. Doesn't seem like much coyote activity in this area. But if we can get another wolf or 2 I would be jacked out of my mind!!! We will be moving a whole bunch of our beaver sets on thanksgiving and will working on setting hard for canines this week.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2016, 21:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

First you must be careful with the spud bar breaking the ice or you ruin what ever you have caught .

Ben there and done that with otter, not good. Thats why when breaking ice (not to thick) is use the back of axe. Blunt end is forgiving.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 23:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

slow week this week just 1 ermin and 1 muskrat, pulled alot of beaver sets too hard to check through all the ice... We are going to relocate a bunch as soon as we can get enough snow to run the snow machine...

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 21:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I used a Teflon spatula to cover traps with snow up there. worked for me! I trapped up at galena on the Yukon river. didn't go far from the base, mostly on foot, but managed to get some fox and weasel. had one foothold ,a #2 double long. mostly snares that I didn't know how to use. I was trying to catch rabbits but my loop was too big, bunnies ran thru them, but the fox couldn't!!
weasel where in our utilidoor on base . these was 4ft by 4ft boxes that our heat lines,water lines and sewer lines ran thru. weasels would find a way in and live in comfort. a weasel box with a rat trap was a killer combo here. sold them to a taxidermist in anchorage.
had some of the fox tanned and shipped home, kids decided to play with my coonhounds with them.not good for tanned fur.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 02:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We are pulling the line this tuesday, getting to expensive and not alot of fur showing up.... Ever since we have enough snow for snow machines too much human activity and no animals in the area. We have been having a wolverine tip toe around and not go into any of our sets but check them all out. Maybe this week will have one in the trap. 2 weeks ago we had a mink and a weasel, but the mink had a few bites out of it from the weasel....