Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 06:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: been 20 years
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 21:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Time flies for sure. Been 20 years this summer that I replaced the old trap shack. The old cabin was built on the ground as was custom for many trapper shacks years ago. After to many years sharing the cabin with mice and MR skunk I was over run. So first week of December after we had finished our trapping season 1995 we decided to torch the cabin. That way when spring came we had no other choice but to build another cabin. to many times before I had said this is the last year for this old cabin and the next year found us back in there.

After we burnt the cabin that winter we had to clean up in spring. After clean up we cleared more trees and hauled in 40 1/2 ton loads of gravel to level the site. One weekend was spent making cement forms for the cabin. The next weekend was the building of the floor. Next time out we spent 5 days and finished the shell. It took many more weekends to wire and insulate and finish the inside. It was the following year that we built the suana and storage shed and wood shed.

Before I post the pics there is a little story I would like to share with you. I was having starter troubles with my truck, but managed to get it to start always. Instead of replacing the starter before I went out to camp to finish the wiring, just told the wife if I'm not back by 7 come get me. It came back to haunt me. Finished around 6 pm and put things away. went to start truck and game over, no way could i get it to roll over. So I had some daylight left and decided to sit on the deck. Over some time I had moved my chair to look at the cabin and had my back to the road coming in. I don't know if it was a six sense or what but i felt there was something behind me. When I turned around there was a large black bear no more then 15 feet from the deck. Lickity split I was in cabin. After 1/2 hour it moved on. Dark was coming so decided to start the gen set
and have some lights. No friggen light bulbs what so ever. So there I sat in the dark till wife showed up.
So here we go.

Since then the cabin had been modified.

Post subject: Re: been 20 years
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 00:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sturdy looking cabin. I am sure it has served you well.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 05:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I don't know who those thin "boys" were who were in those pictures but whoever they were, they did a good job on the cabin! I am surprised we'd never heard the story of the bear. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 21:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

nice looking shed..

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 21:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

remrogers wrote:
Sturdy looking cabin. I am sure it has served you well.
Swamp Rat wrote:
I don't know who those thin "boys" were who were in those pictures but whoever they were, they did a good job on the cabin! I am surprised we'd never heard the story of the bear. :lol:

Swamp I was 40 when we built the cabin, lean and mean, now just chunky and lazy :mrgreen:
I thought I told you about the bear when you were up here the first time. But I kept you busy and you were probably to tired to remember :roll:

Yes Rem the cabin has served us well

Shed :--o thanks chief :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 23:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wolf thats not chunky and lazy its well rounded and wise enough to conserve energy for somthing more fun love the pics w and story

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2