Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Scale Farming
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 21:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Since scrap prices are low, I didn't really actively look for anymore this summer, so I had to find something to occupy my time. I ended up acquiring a few animals here and there. Surprisingly, so far I'm starting to make a little bit of money from it, along with having some fun.

Some of you may have already knew I had rabbits since I posted before, but I have some pictures of them.

I had a littler of 10, but 2 died already. These ones are 3 weeks old.
This mom is amazing. Last litter was a Flemish/NZ cross, and she had 15 kits and raised 14 to weaning age!

This rabbit here is probably my favorite, I can almost guarantee he'll be avoiding the stew pot forever :wink: Hes a pure bred Flemish, and I'm trying to find a female so I can start selling pure bred Flemish

I picked up a pair of these rabbits about a month ago, and I just bred the doe a few days ago. Its her first litter so most likely it won't make it. They're American Blues. They nearly went extinct at one point but they're beginning a comeback now.

For the first time ever, we bought two pigs to try to raise up to butcher size. Its been a lot of fun really, other than when one escaped, but it wasn't too difficult to get him back in. I get all the extra produce and leftover bread from our local grocery store, and use it to feed the pigs rabbits and chickens. Saves a ton on my feed bill.
We bought the dog kennel off Facebook, and then added some chainlink fence to the bottom of it to prevent them from digging out.

I also bought 20 Meat kings and 24 Pullets. 2 meat kings already died, and the pullet guy mixed up my order and only got me 16, but hes bringing me 8 more next week sometime.

Got the pullets Monday, and found these tonight

I'm planning to get some quail soon, and possibly a dwarf breed of rabbit

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

Post subject: Re: Small Scale Farming
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 21:44 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Gonna need to change your name to what our first prime minister was called. :wink:

Good looking herd of critter there and letting the grocery store help with the feeding is great. You'll soon have more eggs than ye can eat.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 03:54 

Good luck on the mini-farm LHB!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 06:03 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Nice variety of stock on your mine farm LHB, good luck with them.

TT I looked up your first prime minister.....you never stop! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 07:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
Gonna need to change your name to what our first prime minister was called. :wink:

Good looking herd of critter there and letting the grocery store help with the feeding is great. You'll soon have more eggs than ye can eat.

Guess so ;--) Yeah I try to get as much free feed as possible for my animals. In the fall I'll also get all the sunflowers, pumpkins, etc from my family, since a lot of my family members grow gardens. Its probably the only reason I'm not going behind on them :roll:

Thanks for the luck, I'm sure I'll need it!

On a sidenote, how long would you guys reccomend keeping pigs? I've had mine about 4 months now, and I was thinking probably first of November for butchering?

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 07:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I raised quail and pheasant for 15 years..they were a lot of fun.. made a little money with them..lots of different thoughts on butchering..we fed ours out till they weighed between 180 and 225 pounds..

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 10:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chieftain wrote:
I raised quail and pheasant for 15 years..they were a lot of fun.. made a little money with them..lots of different thoughts on butchering..we fed ours out till they weighed between 180 and 225 pounds..

Yeah I had heard that weight range, but my problem is figuring out when they weigh that much.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 11:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

we had a stock yard close by [still do ]with a drive on scales..we would weigh our stock trailer empty then load a hog up and weigh a again.once you do it a couple times.you can just look at the hog and pretty well tell if he is closed to ready....

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 22:52 

I'll look up the measurements for a good guess on what your pigs weigh.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 07:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
I'll look up the measurements for a good guess on what your pigs weigh.

Thats interesting, I've never heard of that before. Hopefully I can get the darn things to stay stlil long enough to measure one :lol:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 10:16 

LHB I'm in a hurry so here is a site that says the same as I have done very successfully.
http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/541/ ... t-a-scale/

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 10:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
LHB I'm in a hurry so here is a site that says the same as I have done very successfully.
http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/541/ ... t-a-scale/

No problem TT, thanks for the help! I looked around and found that site about 20 minutes ago, so off I went to try and measure them. I sort of measured one but holy lightning they don't like me near them with that measuring tape. The bigger one is about 115, does that seem about right for a 3 month pig?
Edit: 5 month pigs actually, I had them for 3 months, I forgot they were 6 weeks when I bought them

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 10:05 

115 doesn't sound out of range for the way you are raising them LHB. When we measure we use a string with a knot and then put string around pig. Hold the spot that comes to the knot and release the knot to get string back. Measure from your fingers to the knot.
Barn raised pigs will grow much faster but be less tastier. Are you feeding them any protein? Like barley, peas etc....

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 16:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
115 doesn't sound out of range for the way you are raising them LHB. When we measure we use a string with a knot and then put string around pig. Hold the spot that comes to the knot and release the knot to get string back. Measure from your fingers to the knot.
Barn raised pigs will grow much faster but be less tastier. Are you feeding them any protein? Like barley, peas etc....

I figured they would grow slower due to how they're being raised. I've just been giving commercial feed supplemented with bread, vegetables and fruits

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 21:22 

Cool. Sounds like you have it going your way.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 19:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
Cool. Sounds like you have it going your way.

So far anyways :roll:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 13:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Went out yesterday, and found a litter of 8 of my American Blue rabbits, first time having a litter of actual pure bred rabbits.
Selling 8 of my weanlings and one of my mature bucks on the weekend when I go to the local rabbit show

The biggest of my two pigs is about ready to butcher, so we're trying to see when we can get him into the butcher, although hes gonna be pretty busy the next few weeks, because our moose season ends saturday night, so he'll be swamped trying to get all the moose done.

I've been selling all my pullet eggs for $2/dozen, and the most eggs I've gotten in a day was 18 so far, so they're getting there

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)