Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 23:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 22:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime- Seek and you might find....Not at the old house but on another one of Thor's parcels. Pretty weak stripe but maybe it will wash up better. It didn't spray. Maybe I'll try extracting the essence out at the bro's and SiL's place this weekend. I bought a little 4 oz. medicine bottle with a metal screw on cap for just that purpose a few years back but I've never got the courage up to do it here at home. The wifey absolute hates any skunk smell :(

WCS- We don't really have a land season on anything in SD except bobcat. If you're trapping coon within 30 feet of a water way, you have to do the muskrat/beaver season which is the first Sat. of Nov. through April 30. I'm going to stop any land trapping this weekend except may prowl for some fresh badger holes. Their fur is at its peak about know. See if I can get any to wear a 160 necklace...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 21:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If you're going to set live traps in farmsteads, eventually (or maybe sooner than later) you're going to catch cats. In my experience though you only catch the same cat once. Earlier in the week, I caught the main cat of the hay farm in a smaller live trap of my friend's. Nice cat, wanted to get petted as soon as I had it out, followed me back to my car before heading off to other buildings on the farm.

Not so with the sucker I caught this morning in the big trap. I had never seen it before and Hay man Steve might not have either. As soon as I approached, it was freaking out, making that weird cat noise that actually sounds like some foreign language. At least this one didn't come at me while I lefted the washers to open the door. As soon it figured the door was open, it went like a rocket. If it would have been my place...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 08:49 

Great live catch of the mountain lion PC! :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 08:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trapperrick wrote:
Great live catch of the mountain lion PC! :lol:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 00:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Saturday I picked up my coon cubbies while letting the dps and live traps go one more night. Caught a coon in my friend's live trap at Thor's. It ended up being a smaller one so it will go into my ones for home tanning to see if I can sell in the crafters market. At least its one less bandit eating out of Thor's cats' food dish!

Down on Thor's south parcel where a got a pepe a few days before, surprise another one had piled in. Better color on this one but it ended up being a smaller skunk.

Nothing at either farmstead today when I snapped off the dps. Will yank the stakes when I get my friend's big bumper jack. Transported my big live trap over to Thor's and set it up across from his grain bins. The last tiny bit of snow we had (last Weds.?) I saw some of the biggest front paw coon prints that I've seen this season and would like to get that sucker. I'll leave that 1 trap going this week and have Thor check it when he feeds his cats. The first winter in 4 that we didn't catch something out of his machine shed. Had either a coon or grinner play with my dp there by taking the "plug" out of it to get at the bait but not enough to trigger it. Always next year I guess. Maybe Thor can add more crap to that hording haven.

I went over to Ry's creek pasture to see if I could recover my 2 coon cubbies that had been drfited over and one 110 bottom edge that had also gotten buried. Managed to find 1 cubbie (the other was still drifted in). The 110 maybe a lost cause. Lesson learned here is to do bottom edges for mink and rats before the possibility of a big winter blizzard rolling in. Will be back in mid-Nov. Speaking of mink, there's a least one left on the creek. I was standing on the bank when I saw this one swim across and then start to work my bank down towards me. It got to this spot and stayed there long enough for me to get out the camera before truning tail and heading back up stream. Next Nov. little buddy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 11:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Awesome pic R!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 11:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, I had asked Thor to watch my big live trap that I still had on his farmstead because I had seen some very large coon tracks near where I had set a smaller cage earlier last week in some recent dusting of snow. He was supposed to call me if anything was caught in it. I hadn't heard from him and we did have some cold temps and a nice snow storm on Tues. so maybe nothing was moving. I tried calling him leaving work last night but got no answer except a butt dial a couple hours later from what sounded like a party so de cided to pull the cage this morning instead of tomorrow.

Good thing because this sort of gray faced not exactly friendly boar coon was in it this morning. First one to growl and move aggressively towards me as I lined up for my dispatch. His fur looks pretty ratty so I know its time to hang it up for the year except maybe going after some re-emerging badgers or maybe snare some beavs if someone has any problems around here, haven't done that for a long time but maybe it would be fun to try drying some castor. Always sort of a bittersweet time of the year.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 09:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I went out to the bro's and SiL's yesterday early afternoon to help them figure out how to counter a new mink threat to their chicken enclosure and spied a freshly killed coon on the side of the county highway. I looked it over very briefly and it looked in good shape both from the kill and the quality of the fur so I threw it into the trunk. When fleshing it out this morning with the exception of about a nickel sized hole just up and over a bit about 2-3 inches from the base of the tail, it was in good shape. It was a little sow and the fur was still full and thick. I wish it was a 3 instead of 1 XL but I'll take a little free money potential on the side of the road any day. A much better way to end my coon season than the nasty boar in the cage trap yesterday morn.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 11:41 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Rog I like the way you think. :D