Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 23:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 20:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It seems like I learn the most about a coyotes habits when I track them in the snow. We have about a foot of snow left on the ground, making it good for tracking coyotes.
The first coyote I tracked I knew had been coming around because I had found his scat before the snow hit. I went to the small field where I predicted he would hunt, and sure enough I found his tracks. He didnt come in on the trails I thought he would. He came straight down off the hill, not using any trails at all. While in the field, he didnt use any trails, he was random all over the place. he managed to sniff out every piece of deer bone in the area.

Here are some more pictures, as you can see....he is all over the place not using any trails.

This is a spot I found interesting. To the left is deer tracks where a deer ducked down about knee high to get under the sticks, obviously the easiest way to go. But the coyote chose to go to the right, about half way up to my knee. He really had to crouch down to get under. Not sure why he did this when he had easier options.....

This next picture is the coyote traveling in a low spot with mounds of dirt on both sides, maybe an old trench from the coal mining days thats eroded. Im thinking a good place for a snare, centered in the trench. The trench is about 20 feet long, just a small saddle.

I walked to other side of the hill, and I picked up some coyote tracks coming down off an old logging road. The coyote came down off the road, crossed the creek and went straight up a creek/draw and onto the other ridge. Im thinking I should hang a snare where I see the tracks. The tracks on the left is coyote, the tracks on the right are from a deer. I've noticed on rutted roads like this the coyote travels the high spot EVERY TIME. Never in the bottom of the rut, ALWAYS on the highest spot. Not sure why, you would think he would take the low spot for cover and concealment.

As of right now I plan on hanging some snares where I found the coyote tracks thinking the coyote will come in and out the same way. He went to those deer pieces as if he knew where they were, like he found them before and was coming back for further investigation. Unless of course he was just walking random and smelled them through the snow. In regards to the logging road, I will hang snares where I found the tracks. The snow has been there almost a week, and the tracks were fresh probably from last night. That makes me think at least once a week a coyote comes through. How would you guys handle this? Any thoughts or opinions? I've snared two coyotes so far, and I want my third, and fourth coyote 8)

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 21:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks CG, that was most interesting. Not having snow down here we miss seeing these situations.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 13:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

In not having anything visual to associate with as far as defined trails, they do travel often at "random". The snow in their eyes puts everything on equal ground so to speak. The only thing that will confine or narrow them, is the lay of the land. Often times heavy tall grass will put them on trails they otherwise would ignore if the grass/cover were shorter and snow covered. Using pinch points that are seen in the larger scheme of things will give opportunities. Frozen creeks are also often traveled. Whether the yote travels high ridge area or low like on the rutted roads, will depend on snow depth. In troughs, the snow is protected from wind and the depth remains, where as very often those ridge peaks along side are wind blown and somewhat shallower making easier travel. Snow changes everthing, and often patterns are very different then when there is no snow. Frozen ground makes rodents much harder if not impossible to dig out, so the yotes will concentrate on heavy cover, and seek out rabbits. Also, remember what looks hard for us to travel, is an open road way for a yote and requires little effort on their part. String plenty of snares, concentrating in and around the heaviest ground cover you can find. Look for those lay of the land pinch points they travel close by the heavy patch, or some funneling feature with in it. Some chunks of ground are extremely tough to target, others seem to be tailor made to heap em up, with all manner in between.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 14:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks for taking the time to post all those pics. I enjoyed them. I would scout a bit more to see if they are using the same areas over and over before setting. Like you said they are very random. If I find a place where they are using at least more than once, then I would set.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 17:57 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Very astute observations. Love the pics.