Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late season start
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 23:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Very poor start to this years trapping season. Beaver went well and are all processed but the on and off again weather this month has delayed my setting for long fur. My son David set part of his line last week when there was snow, then came in Sunday to pouring rain which lasted till yesterday. Had to run and check his sets yesterday so there would be no green belly. Had 6 marten and one rat. Last night the temps dropped and had few inches of snow again this morning. This time it is here to stay and are expecting 4 to 5 inches over the weekend. For myself I have not one set put out due to the warm weather. Saturday will go out with Dave to rehang new dry snares at all his sets as they will all be frozen and add more snares to his sets. After that my turn to put in some sets of my own.

Just an update as to what we are doing up here. I could have knitted a sweater by the time I waited for good trapping weather. What about the rest of you, hitting the fur or waiting.

Post subject: Re: Late season start
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 01:59 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Our weather has been pretty warm most of this month has been in the high 40' and 50's with only one big frost back the end of Oct. Have not even started setting. Been focusing on putting deer in the freezer with the longbow.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 09:37 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

scratch wrote:
Our weather has been pretty warm most of this month has been in the high 40' and 50's with only one big frost back the end of Oct. Have not even started setting. Been focusing on putting deer in the freezer with the longbow.

:shock: WARM?!? I am excited our temps have finally dropped into the 40s at night and only up to 70s during the day! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 09:43 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

It hit 0F here this morning and I got my KW home and winterized yesterday afternoon. Ain't been trying to trap as I ain't fighting frozen ground every morning. Got two coyotes since 4pm yesterday though. :D

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 20:19 

I'm taking the plunge tomorrow. It's the first day of mink and muskrat season but heading out to set mostly coyote traps.

But, this is what I expect...

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 22:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

AMEN AMEN AMEN....the Grinners will always get there first!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 20:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

fastest animal in the woods!!

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 15:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Love them grinners. :D

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 17:05 

It's getting to the point that I'd take a grinner. Nothing but empty traps for 4 days in a row. I had the day off so I decided to set a few more until Sunday. I think the full moon is kind of screwing things up.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 20:23 

trapperrick wrote:
I think the full moon is kind of screwing things up.

Any port in a storm. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 20:30 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trapperrick wrote:
It's getting to the point that I'd take a grinner. Nothing but empty traps for 4 days in a row. I had the day off so I decided to set a few more until Sunday. I think the full moon is kind of screwing things up.

Got the same problem here Rick. Nothing in the snares and it is affecting the deer hunting too. They are moving all night and laying up during the day. :x

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 13:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I watched 2 actually very pretty possums a few days ago in evening hours while I was on a ground stand deer hunting. One came browsed for quite a while then left, then the larger came and gave about the same performance. Both got within peeing distance of me. They were rummaging around the leaves under the oaks, picking up acorns and shoveling em down as fast as they could find em! I have been noticing a pretty good reduction in game movement here as well though.... only them possums, and lots of big fox squirrels was all I seen that day.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 19:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Tomorrow will be my first check since setting some snares and traps on Sunday and Monday. Been to the big city for health reasons and are now back to join in on the fun. Called my partner to see if he had checked what I had out today. One wolf and red fox is all he said. Never checked any marten boxes and some other sets. Don't know if I will sleep tonight.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 19:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

2 marten was all I had today out of 11 boxes. 5 should have been but the marten won. Set more boxes up plus a few fox sets. Heading back out tomorrow to set up another road with bike. My son came home with 11 marten and one beaver today. They had one fox eaten by wolves,

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 20:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

How are marten expected to fare this year Wolf? I know they're usually one of your bigger harvests.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 18:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

longhairboy wrote:
How are marten expected to fare this year Wolf? I know they're usually one of your bigger harvests.

Hoping for $50.00 average. Picked up 2 more marten plus red fox and another wolf today. Friday will do another check.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 22:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As usual Wolf, great job on the catches! Like you, gettin a late start on the season. Was out of town working for 2 1\2 months, coming home on the weekends. Was suppose to be only for 3 weeks. Finally got started and a couple doz. sets out and started making catches right away and then the rain and ice came on Thanksgiving and it hasn't stopped since. Still coming down as I type this. May be another week before I reset and fired up again. Did do a beaver job and cleared them all out and then got another beaver job to do. Don't recall a November with so much rain and ice. :roll:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 13:17 

Trapping was really good the first 10 days, then we got hit with endless rainy weather. Musta rained for 2 weeks. All the fields were swamps, the swamps became lakes, and the lakes turned into seas! Almost every set I had was underwater and my catches just stopped. Things are better on the weather front. At least it isn't raining anymore!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 15:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Weather here now is to warm to trap. Animals are not freezing when caught. Also with very little snow the critters are having no effort in finding food and are neglecting the boxes and snares. I think time to shut her down after next check. Green Christmas looks more and more that it will happen. No ice fishing for trout this January.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 08:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our grass has not gone brown yet (doesn't help that its been insulated by snow for the past 2 weeks which is melting off this week). I can't remember green grass this late in the year...

Wolf- How many seasons do you remember when it was "too warm to trap" in the first half of Dec.? Such information is actually important to know by scientists studying climate. It would be interesting to know if such years are linked to inter-annual changes such as the El Nino that going on right now or have a pattern of happening more often in recent years. Thanks!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 09:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

In past years we have had a mild spell come and go which was always welcomed. This time of year we were running snow machines and my tracks were on the bike and temps were -20 range. People were ice fishing. As long as I can remember the temps have never been this high for long periods of time.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 12:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Unseasonably warm here too wolf. I think most of us are experiencing this. Should really help fur quality out in an already gasping market. Thats sarcasm if you didnt already know. Im yet to set for fur for myself, and only doing some light ADC work. Going to be around 60 f. this week and next. All the way past Christmas they are saying warm. I guess i may be waiting until after the first of the year to set? I dont know if its even going to be worth me doing.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 23:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Unseasonably warm here too wolf. I think most of us are experiencing this. Should really help fur quality out in an already gasping market. Thats sarcasm if you didnt already know. Im yet to set for fur for myself, and only doing some light ADC work. Going to be around 60 f. this week and next. All the way past Christmas they are saying warm. I guess i may be waiting until after the first of the year to set? I dont know if its even going to be worth me doing.

Yes amak is it really worth the effort after the new year. Talked with Nafa last week and things don't look good even for good stuff. Still I got my hands wet a little this year and hope for the best.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 12:10 

I hear you guys on warm. Caught a coyote in a snare I set on Saturday that had been out for only 14 hours and the belly was already turning green. I also have never fished open water in December in my life but that changed yesterday. :D The little river between two lakes was open so I had to try. First pics are of the river between the lakes trying to show the ice covered bigger bodies.

Then 2 showing the ice trying to form along the shore. Was really neat listening to this ice breaking and falling down all day.

Then one of the fish I was after.

Very peaceful up there as I had the area to myself all day except for the beaver, mink, squirrels, deer, moose, ducks and a bunch of other things.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 12:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very neat tt. May as well fish when we can! Is tha5 whitefish you caught?