Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 07:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've been away for far too long! How are all you boys doin? I suppose there's been plenty of talk of fur prices on here! Trying to figure out a wise plan of attack for the upcoming season myself!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 14:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Gotta first sell something to talk about price. Lol. Welcome back.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 04:27 

Glad to see you back Happy!

Lots of excitement for the upcoming season. Not much excitement about the prices though. I heard a few country dealers in within a 50 mile radius of me have went under.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 21:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks TR! No kidding about the country buyers?? Just wondering if I should alter my plan of attack this year, maybe only take some selected targets? Our coons are pretty nice though, wonder if they even have a chance to sell?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 08:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

HappyTrapper wrote:
Thanks TR! No kidding about the country buyers?? Just wondering if I should alter my plan of attack this year, maybe only take some selected targets? Our coons are pretty nice though, wonder if they even have a chance to sell?

Happy the coon market is very poor and the auction houses still have hundreds of thousands of coon they cant sell. If your going to try and harvest some only keep the very best.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 17:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

.......for coons right now, even the very best in the whole Country arent moving much and those that do, are going for dirt. Id plan on something besides coons. Everything is poor happy, but IMO you can still move rats, coyotes, good skunks, and bobcats. Dont plan on making any money though, or you will be sorely disappointed. Better do it just to scratch the itch, but be ready to fund your trapping cost with your day time/every day job. I cant afford to do much right now, as id be taking money from my family for my simple "enjoyment"....and guilt nor good sense will allow me to do that. Until furs can support my trapping once again, i simply cannot justify it. Im sticking to less costly adventures until something gives. Good to hear from ya.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 11:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey good to hear from you guys!! So are some of you hanging it up for this season? Cripes I don't know what to do, I love trapping but don't know that I can afford the gas with no chance at compensation from furs. Hmmmmm, I'll have to figure something out.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 12:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Happy- Do you have any "vices" or indulgences you can cut back on a bit if you want to subsidize your trapping fever?? I know from what you've posted in the past, being a single father and what you do for your employment things can be tight. Best of luck for you getting that catching critters itch scratched.

I've usually operated a little in the red for my trapping experience. I guess I have the luxury of doing that without affecting the family bottom line. Our money is basically "compartmentilized", most of my salary goes to the household, I get back a certain "allowance" every 2-weeks. Out of that, I pay for my gas to go to work (and any place else) and whatever else I'm going to spend money one. If I go into the red, as long as it doesn't get too crazy, she stays off of my case. To a lot of outsider observers, the situation seems sort of whacky but we've been married almost 20 years and its the way its been basically since day one. I don't think I've ever made a true "profit" trapping. But I also know when to stop banging my head against a wall as well. For as much as I like catching winter mink, I haven't (and probably won't for a long time) put out such a line for over 3 years. Probably couldn't justify the gas then but certainly not now.

I plan to try to catch some k-9s but I'll also put out my coon cubbies just to clear out any coon, possum, or stinkers that come by, at least for a couple of weeks, because I like to see and take a few cracks at pheasants around here. If there is no other pressure besides vehicles and and an occasion disease outbreak controlling the nest robbers, the game birds that are already struggling in such a crop dominated landscape stand even less of a chance of making it. I can always roll up a nice coon pelt and keep it in the freezer for a few years. A lot easier to stock pile those for a while than a pile of light steel!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 16:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

PC-I'm sure there are a few vices I can cut back on to reduce the sting of trapping gas, getting laid off in the winter just hurts the checking account for a couple months, being laid off gives me the time to trap but not the money! I have seen quite a bit of canine activity the last few weeks bow hunting so maybe I will try to pound a few coyotes in early November, any time I set for coyotes I also end up with a red fox. Just may change my plans, I had initially planned on running a water line but I might stay dry instead and go after the predators.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 20:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Id say thats a better bet Happy. Although if you happen by a slew of rats id take them as well. As for me, im going into minimal mode. I will trap a few coyotes close to home, as well as bobcats, and i also have a decent supply of rats close I can jack with. Im just gonna kinda play around this year with nothing serious happening, except for bowhunting deer..

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 21:11 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

any ideas on what fox might bring ? I've got some big ones running around here. Saw one of the biggest reds I've ever seen just 2 nights ago. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 21:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc9013 wrote:
any ideas on what fox might bring ? I've got some big ones running around here. Saw one of the biggest reds I've ever seen just 2 nights ago. 8)

Good question.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 22:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Reds did fairly good last year compared to the weak market and I suspect the better quality heavy fox with good color should bring not to bad of a price this year. So if you got some fox kicking around give them some time to prime up and get a good coat on before you harvest if possible.