Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 04:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 20:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A friend of mine invited me to go to the SD Trapping Convention this past Saturday. I had never been to one so the younger boy and me loaded up with them (his son is in the same grade) and headed 2 1/4 hours north, northwest to the town of Clark (about 1,500 people). There were about 50 guys there with about a couple dozen kids (ours were the oldest by far standing around in the youth education hour) and about 2 dozen significant others and vendors and other booths in 2 buildings at the county fairgrounds.

I saw an interesting muskrat demo although my part of the state is denuded of rats (SD's rat harvest went from an estimated over 400K in 2011 to less than 20K last year).

And then there was a demo on fox trapping even though we have almost no fox left as well.

But my friend's buddy did a nice demo on yotes of which we have plenty, just wish they were more like tt's heavy pale northerns. And too bad they didn't put this guy into a darker building so we could see his pictures better but I still learned a lot anyways.

And we have plenty of pepe le pews which this guy specializes in catching in the wide open spaces of West River. He told us he grew up in Maine. Not sure what part of West River he's from but I wonder if he decided to give up trees out in the Northeast for grass and blue skies on the plains?

Al in all, I had fun. Entered a number of raffles thinking that I'd stand a good chance of winning something with the low numbers of people there but alas, no such luck...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 09:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapping conventions are fun no matter how big or small. Looks like you had fun and learned some things as well. Meeting new trappers is always interesting and one can always pick up new ideas as well as good stories. Such was the case for me few years back in Kansas.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 14:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wolf1199 wrote:
trapping conventions are fun no matter how big or small. Looks like you had fun and learned some things as well. Meeting new trappers is always interesting and one can always pick up new ideas as well as good stories. Such was the case for me few years back in Kansas.

Yessir, that last Kansas Rondy was good one.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 08:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Glad you had a good time. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing. I love to learn how other trappers techniques compare to my own.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2015, 21:23 

That's really great the you and the boys went to the convention PC. The PA convention always draws a large crowd but I live in a much more populated state (unfortunately) than you do. The PA Trappers Rendezvous always draws a very large crowd even during depressed times like the one we are experiencing. Regardless, you are sharing good, quality time with like minded people.

As far as the muskrat situation, Pennsylvania is facing the same thing. The numbers of muskrats being harvested is dropping at an alarming rate. They always attributed it to much less trapping pressure compared to the early 1980's. But muskrat numbers have been plummeting for years.