Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 09:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I was rummaging in Sioux Falls a couple of Saturdays ago when I saw these little duck tin.

I have a collection going of duck items and thought it would be a nice addition to it. The price was 50 cents and I asked the lady what was inside and she said "duck stamps and other items". Opened the lid but didn't look through the stuff. Gave her 2 quarters and moved on.

Surprisingly, the tin had a number of vintage PA sportsmen items in it (how they ended up in se SD, I haven't a clue--not a major migration stream to my state). There were these 2 mid-1970s PA "fishing license" buttons (don't know if the lower numbers mean anything to collectors or not but both go for about $5 and above on ebay). There was also a local sportsmen club button (sort of cool seeing the ruffed grouse and trout on it so probably from the forested mountainous parts of the state).

There was also this late 1970s Lions Club pin with a WT buck on it. These have gone for up to $5 on ebay as well.

Here's the 10 duck stamps that were in the tin, 8 federals mostly in the 1980s and 2 PA Waterfowl Management Stamps from the 1980s. Most of the fed stamps were signed and at this time there appears to be no market for them so I'll keep them and let them ferment. Not much of a market for the PA duck stamps either but I thought I'd throw them in with the other stuff as a bonus.

The last things in the tin were this American flag patch and some pin-less Nixon re-election buttons. I think these aren't reproductions but with no pin on the back, probably not worth much. The flag patch will probably go in with a lot of a couple of Harley-Davidson- Sturgis hats that I'll probably get up on ebay next week.

So, I'm going to bundle the 3 PA sportsmen buttons, the PA deer Lions pin, and the 2 PA duck stamps together in a lot for ebay. I'll post that link on my "whacky ebay things" thread that I have on campfire later this evening when I get it done.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 12:05 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

PA outdoor collectibles in SD, now that is a twist. Looks like some good finds.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 19:12 

You have some items that will sell very well on ebay PC! Those license buttons will fetch some decent cash from the license collectors in this state, there seems to be a market for them here. They are very low numbers considering during the 70's we close to 1 million licensed anglers in the state. I'm sure the Nixon / Agnew buttons will do well also. They look like brand new!

Also, that 1983 PA Migratory Stamp was the first year that it was issued featuring the late great wildlife artist Ned Smith. It looks as if it's unsigned, that may be worth something decent as well!

I kicking myself in the rear because I found bumper stickers in my Grandmothers garage after she passed away 8 years ago that said LBJ 4 64. I gave them away. Yes, I'm an idiot.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 19:35 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

trapperrick wrote:
Yes, I'm an idiot.

World requires all kinds. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 23:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

my ebay listing for these stuff is now over on the my "whacky ebay" thread...

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 01:28 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

lots of neat items there PC. Those old campaign buttons sell for big bucks at auctions I've been to. I used to have some but lost them somehow. Had some confederate money my granddad gave me when I was a kid but it disappeared too. Would love to have that back. I do have an old hunting license button from my granddad, not sure what year, I'll have to get it out and look. I would never sell it, it will stay in the family. Thanks for bringing back some old memories. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 09:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc- Glad my posting could help bring back some good memories! I don't have much from either sets of my grandparents. My mom was an only child and got most of what that gf had left (after an evil step-mom probably got her cut much earlier in the deal). I do have my maternal grandmother's china tea set that's probably about a 100 or more years old (boxed up somewhere here in the house) and an old toddler rocking chair that's probably from the mid-1800s (although the original caned seat is long gone).

My mom's dad was a Mass. textile parts manufacturing factory clerk that never owned (or as far I as know knew how to drive) a car. I doubt he ever fired a gun. I wonder sometimes what he would think watching my bro and me (his only grand kids) shoot up things like tvs and blow stuff with bullets setting off tannerite. I wonder if he would chuckle and shake his head or stand there mouth a gap appalled. I never knew him so I guess we'll never know...

My dad was one of 10 kids and his parents ended up poor, being share-renting farmers after gf lost the original family homestead during the drought and depression of the 1930s. What little material possessions they had got divided up (or claimed) I'm sure by various kids. I don't think my dad ended up with much except maybe an aluminum fish creel basket which I'm not sure what happened with it when my folks moved out of their house (did I sell it on ebay--if so I was a fool).

My bro does have my dad's old 1949 steel fishing rod with mock pearl plastic handles. Its sort of bent but I'm sure it still works. An old bait-caster reel probably from the 60s or early 70s is still attached. For a blind guy, my pops could probably throw line out from that thing river/lake shore fishing better than I can now :shock: ;--)

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 12:24 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Sorry you didn't get much from your grandparents PC. I know how you feel. My Mom's parents weren't rich by any means, her dad was a farmer/ carpenter, but he had a nice farm, lots of equipment and tools, and lots of nice things passed down through the family. When he died , my mother and older brother inherited everything he had. The one thing he did give me before he died was a small pocketknife made in Pakistan. On the bright side, before my Grandmother died, she gave me 2 things that are invaluable to me. The first was a solid walnut bookcase that held the Sunday school books in the family church I attended when I was a kid. It has no nails in it, only wooden dowels. I'm sure it's over 100 years old. She also gave me a small green glass syrup jar that belonged to my Great-Great Grandfather , the one who fought in the civil war ( where the confederate money came from that I lost :evil: :evil: ).

My Dad's parents, like yours , were very poor. Most of what they had was passed down from their ancestors. My Dad died before my Grandmother, so my uncles took everything they wanted when she died. What little was left was sold at auction. I managed to buy a few things that were sentimental to me. The 2 things I have that I cherish the most are the large Bible that my Dad bought for my grandmother when he was on an aircraft carrier somewhere in the Mediterranean sea , and a turkey call that my Granddad made from cedar wood.

I don't have many material things from them, but I have lots of memories, and nobody can take those from me. 8) 8)

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 12:50 

I got a very important thing from Grandparents, it's called life. What I do with it is up to me.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 13:48 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trappintime wrote:
I got a very important thing from Grandparents, it's called life. What I do with it is up to me.

I used to think the same thing Trap, that I was in control of my life, but the older I get the more I realize................... I ain't in control of anything.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 14:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

pretty cool stuff there ,non..

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 15:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Chief! Nothing of my making, only trying to get them back to folks who truly would appreciate them.

doc- Yes, nailless/screwless furniture is very cool. Shows what people can do with a few tools and ideas in their heads. Walnut to boot. Outstanding piece of American manufacturing. What years was your dad in the Navy or Marines? Do you know the name of the ships he served on??

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 18:33 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

NonPCfed wrote:
Thanks Chief! Nothing of my making, only trying to get them back to folks who truly would appreciate them.

doc- Yes, nailless/screwless furniture is very cool. Shows what people can do with a few tools and ideas in their heads. Walnut to boot. Outstanding piece of American manufacturing. What years was your dad in the Navy or Marines? Do you know the name of the ships he served on??

He was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier, the U.S.S Roosevelt. Not sure the exact years but it would have been around 1956-1960.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 20:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Cold War duty then. Did he ever tell you stories about playing chicken with Russian planes or subs??

The FDR was a Midway class carrier, entering service a few months after WWII ended. The last ship of this class, the USS Coral Sea, was the first true post-war American carrier. It seems that the FDR didn't have a glorious end such as her first born "sister". Even in late 1970s $$, I think the scrappers who bought the ship for a little over 2 million got a whopper of a deal (then again, steel was probably $15 a ton back then...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway-cla ... ft_carrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Frankl ... 28CV-42%29

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 23:11 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

NonPCfed wrote:
Cold War duty then. Did he ever tell you stories about playing chicken with Russian planes or subs??

The FDR was a Midway class carrier, entering service a few months after WWII ended. The last ship of this class, the USS Coral Sea, was the first true post-war American carrier. It seems that the FDR didn't have a glorious end such as her first born "sister". Even in late 1970s $$, I think the scrappers who bought the ship for a little over 2 million got a whopper of a deal (then again, steel was probably $15 a ton back then...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway-cla ... ft_carrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Frankl ... 28CV-42%29

He never talked much about being in the Navy.