Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 14:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have a good buddy thats never been around guns or anything outdoors, but told me he wants to get into it. So I told him it's time to get him afield and start learning. Went out last friday morning to try and find some hogs and just to "introduce" him to guns. Ended up trying to stalk some turkeys in an open pasture since turkey season closed on that Sunday. Unsuccessful, but he said he enjoyed it. Let him shoot my .243 and my dads Marlin at a target I brought.

Went back out again this morning looking for hogs. Found some sign, but no porkers. Brought along my dads marlin model 336 .30-30. Want to get it sighted in to try and hunt with it, think it would be cool. I dont know if it was because of my lack of experience and knowledge with an open sight rifle, or the different bullets I was using this time, but I shot terribly. Last time I was able to hit a water bottle at about 50 yards with Remington Corelokt 170 grain hollow points. This time shooting Hornady 150 grain interlocks, I couldnt even hit paper at 100 yards :shock: But anyways...

Any advice for helping me teach my buddy? I'm not letting him shoot a hog until he is comfortable shooting and is capable. We have a feeder hanging that we haven't filled in a while, so I'll probably get that going to increase our odds. Really get him hooked by killing some hogs :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 16:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I wouldn't worry too much about the factory loads. Find the ones that shoot the best. Some combos don't shoot worth a dang for a particular gun, others will shoot fair, and a few well. Experiment with combos of cartridges, powder charges, bullet size, etc. If you get into reloading you will throw rocks at the factory loads you can buy. You can make rounds that match your gun perfectly.

Teaching someone to hunt, you need to start off with something that is faster action till they start to learn patience and other basics. Hogs probably isn't a bad thing to start off with although they might be tough if you are spotting and stalking, squirrels are also faster action as is your migratory birds. Once someone has a little more experience under their belt they can start going after the tougher game animals. Definitely get them out shooting and familiar with the weapons. I don't know the size of the guy but try not to get him behind a gun that is going to belt him pretty hard, at least not right off the bat. He will start some bad habits if you do.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 08:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

.22's, squirrels. Maybe a moderate lodes 20ga. Shoot cans with a .410. As we age iron sights get harder to use. Gun vise or lead sled is best for sighting in. Shoot one round. Look. If its on paper shoot one more, if not adjust accordingly( i you know where it hit?). At 50 yards a rifle should hit a teacup all day long. Depending on the sights a 100 yards may be too far?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 09:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Right now I`m working on introducing my girlfriend to hunting some more. She hasn`t done any hunting, but once she finishs her course, and the snow is gone, we`re gonna go out after cormorants and crows, so should hopefully be fairly fast paced. I jokingly told her she could use my 12 gauge, and her being oblivious to knowing what it is, said sure lol

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 22:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks fellas. Right now, all we can hunt is hogs, seasons for everything else are closed. I would've enjoyed starting him on squirrels though if I could. Is it fall yet? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 05:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

No other varmints down there?

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 08:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Only other one is rabbits. We managed to stumble upon two when looking for hogs, but that's it. Not sure how much are in our woods. We hear a lot of red-shouldered hawks out there (they're like a smaller version of red tailed hawks) so that means

1) There is a lot of small game to sustain the hawks

Or

2) the hawks eat all the small game

No clue on how many coyotes and bobcats are out there. We've never predator hunted out there.

:!: Maybe that's what we could do, try calling in some coyotes! We have a fancy electronic call we got from my dad's friends and a electric decoy (a fuzzy head that spins). Guess we could set up on a pasture and set the call and decoy out and try to get a coyote to come in.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 08:34 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Clothepins a piece of wire and a pellet/BB gun are a good mix in teaching someone to shoot. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 08:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Alright TT you have me stumped with that one :roll:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 08:56 

First thing you want with someone hunting is a person who can handle their weapon safely and with confidence. Shooting a lot of shots is the best way to achieve this and a BB/pellet gun is the cheapest way. Any target will work but clothepins holding targets on a wire is a simple method. 500 pellets/BB's cost next to nothing compared to even the .22 long rifle and if you have an accidental discharge the damage usually isn't as bad as if using a 30-30 or 12 gauge. Proficiency comes with familiarity is what I'm saying. Being able to kill while hunting is the end goal and practice doe make perfect. Going into the bush without a gun and learning to sneak/wait for an animal is good practice as well and a way to learn what animals will do that can be learned no other way.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 09:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TT is right Lox. We had to accompany other hunters in our family for awhile without a gun. First few trips when i was older i carried a BB gun but it was so they could watch for gun safety. Cousin of mine didnt take it serious and went 2 years longer then me before he could carry a "real" gun. Some kids carried toy guns for the same reason and all my kids started carrying a toy gun afield, then BB, then the real thing.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 11:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ya I have been shooting a pellet gun since I was 5, but was never able to actualy hunt until I was 14 due to our laws. But I learned gun safety very young. I remember once I pointed my gun at my dad, and laughed. I didn't see that gun for a good while, but It taught me my lesson.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)