Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drill augers?
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 13:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Anyone use these for digging dirt holes etc? Pro and cons? Look pretty slick but varying a cordless drill? Maybe a spare battery? Charging every night? Pros? Speed for one im sure? Easier on an old body?

Post subject: Re: Drill augers?
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 04:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes, I started using one this year and I will always use one from now on. They are great except for when the ground is frozen, but I don't use many dirtholes when it is frozen. A big time saver they are and much easier on my back and shoulders. I like a big deep hole and digging them by hand can take time and a lot of hurting. My auger is 3" by 18". If you do decided to use one make sure is has a hammer drill. Carrying them does add weight and the extra battery, but the time it saves me and the hurting makes it well worth it for me. Charging batteries every night is not a problem for me. Imo pros out weigh the cons Back. Well worth it for us older men that have health issues. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 09:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thank you Richard. That what drew my interest, time saved and ease. Early in the season trowels arent bad to use but soon as it starts getting cold i start dreading it.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 09:18 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Been using an auger forever Back. I don't use an electric drill but a brace and bit works in my soil. I also have a 1 1/2 inch auger attached to an old ice auger handle for the same purpose. Chieftan I believe was the first to suggest using a power drill that I remember.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 15:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont think i seen Chiefs idea? Trapping show was advertising them and i thought it looked pretty slick. I dont know if a hand driven auger is much improvement on a trowel? Does that work pretty slick too? Im trying to lighten my load on the line and i carry a heavy hammer, short hoe and trapping trowel now. Id like to replace all three as the hammer i mainly for stakes and im getting away from them on land. I always use a 6 1/2' walking stick so it doubles for the backside of the hoe now(if ya get my drift) for what the .22's arent appropriate for. Hammer, hoe and trowel=9ishlbs.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 15:45 

The auger works so good for a bait hole that I use it almost exclusively. In docs rocks I doubt I would carry it twice. One has to use what works for them.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 17:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A little late on this I guess, but they do work quite handily. I remember Chieftain did have a special auger he made or something along that line, but it has been a few years since he posted it. Seems like he was using it to make mock fishing holes for coons. A lot will depend on what it is you are trapping and what style of sets you make. A lot of the dirt holes that I will make for cats or coons if I choose to, I will just use the stake driver. Shove it in several inches and start making circles with your hand and it wallows out a hole. Takes just a few seconds. On the other hand though, when I am making step down dirt holes for yotes or fox I will use a trowel, but you have to because of the angle the hole needs to be. Just have to match what your surroundings and type of sets dictate.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 17:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Soul varies here, loam, sand, black dirt, clay depending on where we're at. Rock in some places or gravel but i trap those areas different most times anyhow. Im gonna get one and try it this summer. Thank you everyone. Dont hesitate to say your opinions or experiences. Ive got an old antique hand drill with the offset handle and a 11/2" bit i may try before i buy one. I like a little bigger dirt hole most times.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 18:07 

Back the old wood augers are an excellent choice. I pick them up at farm sales, flea markets for a couple bucks. Antique stores want $25+.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 19:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TT ive got a few different sizes but 11/2" is the biggest. I went out and checked for certain. I may still try it and just Waller it around a little. CMJR i seen you posted but didnt have time to read it before. Was finishin cooking supper. For yotes i like a deeper dirt hole then i use to. 10" minimum and 2 1/2"-3" wide. Use to like smaller and shallower holes but yotes didnt care for'em it seemed. For coons and fox im not particular. 6"-8" deep and 1"-4" or even 5" wide, not particular. Sometimes for fox and coon I'll make 2+ holes and set 1-2+ traps on drags. Mainly thinkin the auger is gonna be for yotes. Our yotes are gettin sharper and sharper.