Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 11:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote Bounty
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 22:18 

The Pennsylvania State Legislators are a bunch of idiots! Some misguided hack from eastern PA introduced a bill a little over a month ago to implement a $25.00 bounty on coyotes. He apparently owns a chunk of private land where he hunts on and thinks by putting a bounty on coyotes will get rid of them and save "his deer herd". :roll: I guess this guy completely ignored the history of how well this worked out west.

Post subject: Re: Coyote Bounty
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 22:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hmmm. A guy could probably make a decent amount of money off of a yote depending on what all you had to show for the bounty. Do they take whatever it is you bring in to them as proof or are you able to keep it?

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 23:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If they use a stamp youd be able to keep the fur value. In the past they collected the scalp. There should still be some fur value.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 00:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Bounties may have worked way back in the day when poison, year round trapping and few hunting laws were in effect. TODAY, bounties would and will have no effect. Yotes are as much urban as rural and still increasing thier range. Here in Nevada we have a year-round season and unless nature culls them there is no decline in the population.

Kelley

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 06:23 

I'm hard pressed to find out any details of this program other than news paper articles.......

HARRISBURG, Pa. — A bill that would authorize the Pennsylvania Game Commission to set a bounty on coyotes is advancing in the Legislature after winning the approval of the state House of Representatives.

Named the "coyote control incentive program," the bill would allow the game commission to pay $25 to any licensed hunter or furtaker for each coyote lawfully killed. Democrats largely opposed the measure, which passed 111-78 on Wednesday, while Republicans largely supported it in the Republican-controlled chamber. The bill was sent to the Senate, which does not return to Harrisburg until Jan. 7.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that it would be Pennsylvania's first such bounty on a wild animal in 50 years.

State law already allows year-round coyote hunting, and the bill's sponsor, Rep. Michael Peifer, R-Pike County, said he wants to give hunters an extra incentive to reduce the growing numbers of coyotes.

The game commission estimates that twice as many coyotes were killed by hunters last year, or about 40,000, as the number of coyotes in Pennsylvania a decade ago.

Complaints about coyotes and confirmed cases of pets and livestock killed by them have fluctuated, between a low of 304 in 2001 to a high of 603 in 2004, the Inquirer reported. Most complaints were related to a general fear of the animals, not because of a threat, the game commission told the Inquirer.

Opponent of the bill say more killing of coyotes could backfire and cause their numbers to spike as they counter by breeding at younger ages and producing larger litters to fill the void. Plus, the bounty would pose a threat to unleashed dogs or outdoor cats that are mistaken for coyotes, opponents say.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 09:04 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Sounds like a bit of a windfall for hunters/trappers to me. The government wastes sooooooooooo much money that it hurts, so if they are gonna throw it away,it's kinda nice for outdoorsmen to finally get some.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 09:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, I have mixed emotions on this subject. I agree with kc that bounties rarely affect numbers of critters nowadays. SD has no season on coyotes and their numbers don't decrease. Frankly, they're mostly safe for at least 6 months of the year because unless a farmer/rancher or rural local takes a poke at them, the city based varmints hunters aren't around to do so. Ask Fish how many yotes he thinks get plugged during the spring or summer around his town. I'm sure he'd rather see some green in his pocket later by trapping/snaring them when the fur is worth cash.

I also think tt has a point. If state gov is dumb enough to offer extra money to hunters & trappers for knowing you knocked off a yoter, then why not let them?? Of course, I'm sitting here in a different state and not paying the tax bill to finance such a plan. Hunting a yote isn't the easiest thing in the world and in fact varmint hunting may go down in effectiveness if everybody and their three cousins are out blowing rabbit calls on the edge of the woods through out the winter. The bill still has to pass the legislature and get signed by the gov. Not a done deal.

I'll tell a little "bounty" story from about 15 years ago. We used to have a motor mouth governor who would spit out new ideas and annouce them sometimes without thinking them all the way through. Yes, he decided that SD needed more coyotes taken so decided on making a few into living lottery tickets. His idea was that the state agency would capture some, tag them with a ear tag, and release them again for hunters/trappers to try to get. A one tag yote would be worth $500 and a the few double tagged yotes would be worth a cool grand. Sounded like a neat plan but he forgot to tell the state agency about it before he announced it. Those guys scrambled trying to catch enough coyotes to do the program. In the end, I don't know how many they caught and tagged or how many were claimed for the lottery but it was in effect for a few years and then just petered out without much fanfare. Sort of funny to think about it now...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 09:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

To me that's a cash cow staring you in the face. Whether it works or not you can make some extra coin. I know Saskatchewan did that couple years back. Collected over 70,000 yotes in one year. Problem was not all the yotes came from the Province. Alberta and Manitoba also took advantage of that cash cow

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 10:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thats hilarious PC. Government at work. Im also with pC. Mixed feelings. It won't have much affect on populations but like TT said CASH!! The opponents of the bill are worried about unleashe dogs and cats. Hmm. Sounds like a peta argument. They talked here about 8 or so years ago about a $10-$15 bounty but it was all talk. Im guessing it won't last in PA. PETA etc will file lawsuits claiming all kinda of crazy stuff. Game commission wont wanna spend the legal fees and save face with the low hunter participation phrase and poof its gone. But in the meantime if its passed id sling lead and steel if theres many around you. Salvage what hides you can and enjoy the greenbacks.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 15:17 

Here is some more info about this. The state government is making this a mandate to the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The PGC is to appropriate $700,000.00 out of the general game fund for this. The wildest thing about this is the PGC does not receive one dime of taxpayer money. They are funded by licensed hunters and trappers. They also receive a good chunk of money from gas lease royalties from gas drilling that is going on currently on state game lands. The state legislator regulates the PGC as far as license cost and board appointees but the PGC does not receive tax monies.

So technically I am paying for this bounty. I hope I'll be able to keep a coyote pelt after collecting a bounty so I can double dip.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 16:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hope they dont scalp the pelts Trapper R. Then you'll be assured of "double dipping". If they do scalp them all is not lost. You can tan and resell them on the craft markets. Traditional archers, reenactors and others love fur articles. I can get you the plans for mittens, quivers etc or you may have them already. Hats arent hard to do either and headless hats are in fashion. $60 is common here.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2013, 15:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

If someone leaves their pet unleashed than that's their fault :evil: We've "taken care of" a few on our Georgia property because they run off deer and turkey. We aint driving 7 hours just so somebody can let their un-collared, un-leashed mutt chase deer wherever it pleases. That sucker is a domestic coyote as far as we see.

On another note :roll: , Back I'd be interested in those plans just to have a look. Not much use for fur garments down here but still :roll:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2013, 21:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'll posted on the photo bucket thingy. Thats probably easiest.