Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 19:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SD coyotes
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 21:08 
Trapper
Trapper

This will be my first year trying for coyotes and fox. I just got permission to trap on a dairy farm tonite and the landowner said that he has some yotes that he would like to get rid of as they have been harassing his livestock off and on.
My question is what would be a good set in this situation along with bait and lures. I live in se SD the landowner also said that he has seen some holes around and doesn't know if they are active or not. could a guy use these as a dirthole set.

Raccoon - 14
Beaver- 3
Opposum- 0
Skunk-1

Post subject: Re: SD coyotes
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 22:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

So I take it the cattle will be in the same enclosure you will be trapping? Or are the cows in a seperate enclosure?

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 17:18 
Trapper
Trapper

The cattle are in there own enclosure around the barn. I gather from the landowner that the yotes haven't come to the yard yet. But is a little concerned for this years young calves.

Raccoon - 14
Beaver- 3
Opposum- 0
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 17:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well if the cows aren't going to be able to get to your sets you could really use about any set you wanted. Most people tend to use a dirt hole or a derivative of one or a flat set. Personally I prefer a step down dirt hole, as it guides the foot right to the trap. Bait or lure, really about any reputable lure maker is going to catch them. Some of the more popular ones I can think of at the moment are Grahams country lures, Carmen, Milligan. There are others just can't think of them at the moment, but they all will work. The reason is because each of them use the same base ingredients and there isn't many base ingredients out there that are cheap for them to use. There are just slight differences in each of them really.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 18:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

cat-man-jr wrote:
Well if the cows aren't going to be able to get to your sets you could really use about any set you wanted. Most people tend to use a dirt hole or a derivative of one or a flat set. Personally I prefer a step down dirt hole, as it guides the foot right to the trap. Bait or lure, really about any reputable lure maker is going to catch them. Some of the more popular ones I can think of at the moment are Grahams country lures, Carmen, Milligan. There are others just can't think of them at the moment, but they all will work. The reason is because each of them use the same base ingredients and there isn't many base ingredients out there that are cheap for them to use. There are just slight differences in each of them really.

x2. there is no better dirt hole than the step down with the horizonal hole. they can not work it from the back side. no blocking required. the trench is the blocking and backing. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 19:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Thank you cat-man and Rich. Now next question is where can I go to see how to make the step down set?

Raccoon - 14
Beaver- 3
Opposum- 0
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 21:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

go to youtube. the vid is called The Dirt Hole Set- That Works. the name of the guy is Edward Schneider. the best vid on youtube imo. he teaches it step by step and explains it very well. :wink:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 22:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sdcooner Ed has 5 or 6 vids on there. take the time and watch them all. good stuff. i also bought his book sometime back. the best book i have bought for coyotes. it is not about sets. its about coyote movements . the name of it is One Square Mile. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 22:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The way he does it in the vid isn't the same as what we do, but it will still work plenty fine. We learned the way we do it from the Leggets (sp?). Which they have fox on the brain of course, we just used it for fox and yotes.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 09:29 
Trapper
Trapper

OK thanks a lot guys I will give it a view.

Raccoon - 14
Beaver- 3
Opposum- 0
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 18:43 
Trapper
Trapper

That was a good video, never seen this method before(my first year). 2 more weeks and ill be giving that a try!