Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 04:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAFA Lost My Mink
PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 20:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey guys it's been awhile. I just saw my lotting letters and it appears NAFA lost my only mink. It's on the shipping receipt but its missing on my lotting. Any suggestions on where I can go for help? Thanks, Nick

Post subject: Re: NAFA Lost My Mink
PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 20:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nick if it's on your receipt, not to worry it will show up in the next few days. If not just give them a call and i'm sure they will find it.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 20:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Not all the species are listed yet. These have not yet been posted to lotting letters:

Muskrat, Mink, Otter, Beaver, Lynx Cat, Lynx

I am still waiting on muskrat, beaver, and bobcat yet to show up on my lotting letter.

So don't worry about it yet.

It will probably show up tomorrow in your account.

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 21:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I am missing a rat. I sent 55 up there and there are only 54 on my lotting list. Who stole my rat?! :mrgreen: Seriously though I am missing one...

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 22:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

maybe a live mink or a great horned owl got it on the way ( :P :mrgreen: !!). I lost 3 rats to one and/or the other over about a 75 yard stretch over a couple of days during the 2011 fall season. Those critters from that slough still owe me some green :x !

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2013, 21:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I guess I should add that my mink did show up. I jumped the gun and shouldn't have immediatley doubted NAFA. I almost regret sending it up there though. It only brought $6.50! I thought I did a great job on the put up. I even had to make my own stretcher. I wish now that I would have just had it tanned and kept it... live and learn I suppose.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2013, 22:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nick- I know how you feel but as jase said, many things were probably out of your control. Look at the % of the wild mink sold and it's the lowest of the wild fur so far at 52%. There were a couple of pages where nearly every lot was bought back. So, it probably wasn't your fur handling but its size, color, and region where it came from and what the buyers wanted this spring.

I'll tell you a female mink story. One Jan, I was running a late season little ditch snow hole mink line. I think I had out about 15 or so 110s and caught 6 mink that week. For some reason, I was in a lazy mood and didn't put them out. Of the six critters, I caught 4 females and 2 bucks. I averaged $6-8 on a body for the girls and about $10-12 on the boys. I sure wish I would have had better prices but that's what I caught and what I was offered. Probably didn't cover the gas money for my route but I had fun doing it :)

If you ever wanted to try your hand at taxidermy, a female mink probably is a fairly easy place to start. So if you catch a similar mink next year, you might find it fun. I've sold about a half dozen or so on ebay. The highest mount went for $110 while some never met my reserve price to cover the cost of the form. So, it can be a crapshoot as well, at least for my ham fisted Gonzo taxidemry :P

Genesis 1:26