Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 17:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I caught my first raccoon in a snare this week. It was on a small run along the river bank, set the snare 7 inches across, and three inches off the ground. The next day this big boar was waiting on me. :--D :--D

He was a skinny boy, when I picked him up he had lots of loose skin. Back in the fall he was probably a fat guy but as winter wore on he lost the weight and now he had loose skin hanging off :--D . The fur was pretty, nice and thick. No rubs that I could tell. This is my first deep winter coon, and I noticed some things that were different from my november coons. When I skinned him out, he was like a buck in the rut, NO fat anywhere. When I was fleshing him I noticed the leather was more white and thicker than my early season coons. November coons seem to have a blue color in the leather. Now my question, I noticed in the armpits the animal had what looked like sores, they were small bloody holes. What is this? Here is a pic:

Another thing I noticed where these small holes in the back, these are not holes from me fleshing. I have seen holes like this in the early season coons but never this bad.

There is a mark on the lower back from the snare. Will this cause me to lose money if I sell it?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 17:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Congrats on your late season catch. Wish we could use snares here. As for your question I believe those are bite marks. Coons rut this time of year and fight quite often. Could be tick bites also, hard to tell.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 17:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Those are bite marks from fighting. They are rutting now and just about all the males are going to have bites from fighting. You might loose a little from the snare scar but not a whole lot.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 18:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Bite marks are normal they are always fighting. We normally have some that fight like that even back in Nov, but they can still equal a damaged pelt if there is any amount of them. You are going to get reamed on the snare mark, that's a pretty bad one. One of many reasons why I will not ever use a snare on a coon on purpose, it almost always equals a damaged pelt, and not worth my time. The only exception is if you can consistently neck catch them, and I ain't seen many people that can.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 18:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

after the pelt has dried, wouldnt the snare mark fade away?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 18:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

No, it will get dark from the leather being thinned right in that area.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 19:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

so much for my "winter prime coon" lol

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 20:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I look at the bright side, i have always wanted to snare a coon, and I finally did it. I learned a lot with this coon. The area I snared him in was thick cover on the riverbank. I had to crawl on my stomach to set the snare. I think that if I am going to blind set, snare, or connibear catch a coon it will be in thick cover. Maybe next time I will set a 110 or a 155 connibear. Maybe I can use this coon to hone my braintanning skills 8)

8 Raccoons