Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 20:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey everyone. Hope your seasons are going well! I have recently found a skunk skull, and a deer skull while I was hunting and trapping. The skunk skull smells a little bit, and I would like to get rid of it. What would be the best way to go about it? and I'd prefer something I would probably have the ingredients close at hand, but if thats not possible, I'll try all recipes!! and how do you whiten your skulls? After seeing how cool these 2 skulls looked, I decided to start saving the skulls from the animals I trap and hunt.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 08:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I've had much luck using 20 Mule Team Borax, a laundry booster that can be bought in most grocery stores. I first started using it when I was working with wings, because the bony gristley area always began to smell. I also use it when making deer or elk leg bags. I sew them together wet and raw, then toss them in a paper bag with the borax. Before I started using it and making those bags, if they got damp, they'd start to reek. But dampness wasn't a problem after using the borax. So from my experience with using it, It's very effective against bad odors.

So I'd suggest that after you have our skunk skull cleaned well, to make a very strong solution of borax and water and put the skull in it, allowing it to soak for a couple of hours at the least. I haven' worked with skulls, and I see someone mentioned on another thread that certain things loosen teeth, so bide by their instructions as far as soaking the skull in anything that might loosen the teeth.

You'll see suggestions for using hydrogen peroxide, but it's not the same hydrogen peroxide you have for cuts. It's industrial strength and extremely caustic..you DON'T want it on your skin at all, but it sure does work. I use to work for a taxidermist and that's what he used on his European deer and elk mounts. Hope this helps

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 10:01 
Trapper
Trapper

The recipe for skunk stink removal is on t-man in the Trappers Tips section--don't need to log in for it.

I've read to NOT use bleach on skulls as it loosens the teeth, but that borax or hydrogen peroxide don't. DO NOT buy the peroxide that is industrial strength as Gal has mentioned, just the weak stuff.

Hope this helps a bit.

The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.