Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 09:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 01:36 
Trapper
Trapper

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232 ... tos005.jpg

Born a trapper from the father side, a hunter, well that can also be said from the same trait. But, as a professional
elk, deer, bear, and moose hunting guide, I never thought I'd experience the thrill of - wolf guiding. There's been countless years I have walked down a game trail with a client to hunt the elusive elk,,,, only to stop in our stride to say to him, there's a pile of fresh wolf stool there and we have only a day to get any elk that is on this ridge. I re-collect that they were illegal to shoot and that was two seasons ago. Since that time, the state of Idaho over ruled the so regulated "endangered species" wolf act and my outfit was allowed to view them as they are - a predator in the back country and a much needed tag to be filled. Well as a hunting guide with a 11 years of big game hunting experience, I can honestly say this past month's wolf kill has surpassed all previous hunts combined. Kudos to a Michigan pair - father & son team effort, this photo of a 140 lb. Canadian grey wolf was taken while in the process of an elk call. My client is 5' 8" and his son 6' 1" 230 lbs. to give you a comparison to the size of this grey. All I can say is this: It's a great feeling to know that now, those wolves out here now hunt with the understanding that they are no longer free to roam freely. I am now their biggest threat - they now are no longer at the top of the "food chain" as they once thought.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 04:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:D well done

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 08:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

great job...congrats..

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 09:05 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That is a whooper! :shock:

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 10:37 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

I wonder which one of these was the cause of more big game demise's .

or

Nutz4TrapN wrote:
as a professional
elk, deer, bear, and moose hunting guide,

Barry

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 11:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The only good wolf...................

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 15:58 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Dang that's a big animal. :shock:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 01:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Jase - I certainly hope you don't treat the trapping industry as you have so stated with your anti-hunting claims. It seems you have been mis-informed or lack poor judgment in your findings. My outfitter doesn't restrict the public from hunting on his leased land. In fact, I have encountered many hunters hunting the same grounds I guide on (including 3 individuals hunting the same area / the same week that the above wolf was taken). His paid lease only protects his camp grounds (a 300 yard premise) which guarantees him a safe haven for his hunters as well as a water source & a staging area for his horses. No where in his leasing rights does it say his hunting areas are privately owned or closed to the public. This post was not intended for anti-hunting propaganda. It was designed to educate public awareness of the Idaho wolf threat to our elk, deer, and moose population. My client & his son were very pleased to assist us with the "thinning" of this wolf population. For this reason, I am very greatful. This area will now contain 427 (Fish & Game statistic) more deer this year because they will not have been stalked & killed by this wolf.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 02:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I can see both sides of the argument.(Not including my destinct hatred of most fishing guides) I have had problems with outfitters fresh from California getting mad at me for hunting on "Their" district. Well "Their district" is called public land and my family has been hunting it for several generations. I have seen them put up private property signs, block gates. A bunch of halfway illegal and just plain stupid things. As well as lease out and block off lands that used to be accessable to the public.
On the flip side they have paid for a lot of our Block management program. Which since Montana no longer allowes for outfitter sponsered tags is going defunct. They are trying to finance it
through direct sales to out of state hunters. They cant seem to understand why people dont want to drop a few hundred bucks to hunt a decimated big game population.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 10:43 

It always amazes me how people will try to use facts to support an argument. I learned the hard way and a long time ago that this is a very dangerous slope to slide on. Let's take this "Guides" statement for instnance.

Nutz4TrapN wrote:
This area will now contain 427 (Fish & Game statistic) more deer this year because they will not have been stalked & killed by this wolf.

This means to me that the wolf will have killed 427 divided by 365 = 1.17 deer a day. Now as I will not say that is wrong[cause even a dog in a chicken coop will kill over 100/day], I will say that I find it very hard to believe. Just as I find anything said by a guide/outfitter to be true when it pertains how they are helping any situation other than lining their pockets at my expense. A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf. :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 17:16 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Divide and conquer.

You guys better kill every thing you can while it's still legal, and while there's anything left. :wink: :wink:

I've seen what the yotes have done to game populations here in the east.... I can only imagine what those wolves are doing to game in the west.

Kill every one of those frickin' things. :twisted: :twisted:

As far as guides and outfitters go, I haven't had very good luck with them in the past. Most I've had were chicken-sh!t$. I hired them because it was the only way we could hunt what we wanted to hunt. My daughter and I had a lot of great times, fun we wouldn't have had without guides, but we did a lot of it on our own, with a few exceptions. Those guys are just trying to make a living , like all of us, and there are some good ones out there. I guess if you want to blame someone, blame people like me who sometimes hire them and keep them in business.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are good guides and bad guides, just like every other segment of society. I don't know Nutz4Trapin, but if he's posting on a trapping site, I'd bet he's a pretty good dude. :wink: :wink:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 18:21 

doc9013 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock:

doc9013 wrote:
Divide and conquer.

You guys better kill every thing you can while it's still legal, and while there's anything left. :wink: :wink:

I've seen what the yotes have done to game populations here in the east.... I can only imagine what those wolves are doing to game in the west.

Kill every one of those frickin' things. :twisted: :twisted:

Got nothing to do with divide and conquer, doc. In my mind anyway :roll: Yep the wolves can take animals as that is their job. :wink: Up here the ungulates are moving into areas they have not been for years and as of yet the wolves have not followed but the outfitters are sure trying to get in on the new ground :evil: .

doc9013 wrote:
As far as guides and outfitters go, I haven't had very good luck with them in the past. Most I've had were chicken-sh!t$. I hired them because it was the only way we could hunt what we wanted to hunt. My daughter and I had a lot of great times, fun we wouldn't have had without guides, but we did a lot of it on our own, with a few exceptions. Those guys are just trying to make a living , like all of us, and there are some good ones out there.

They can dang well try and make a living with out using my resources doc. :evil: Even a prostitute sells something that is theirs and not ours :wink: .

doc9013 wrote:
I guess if you want to blame someone, blame people like me who sometimes hire them and keep them in business.

OK I'll blame you too. Cause this is one of the problems that make it a rich mans sport only, in the long run.

doc9013 wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are good guides and bad guides, just like every other segment of society. I don't know Nutz4Trapin, but if he's posting on a trapping site, I'd bet he's a pretty good dude. :wink: :wink:

He can be the nicest guy in the world but I'll only ever look on him one way :wink: , the same way I look upon one of the best friends I had while going through high school. He became a guide/outfitter and we have not had a civil word since and trust me, we have had more than words. :shock:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 20:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

man, you guys see the NASCAR race. that was a wild one..

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012, 23:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

OK I will bite what the heck does nascar have to do with guids and outfitters????

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 08:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

just thought this was getting everyone hot. and just trying to break the tension a little and get everyone's mind on something else...sorry for the NASCAR thing...thanks, denny

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 09:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Dont be sorry I was just tryin to find the link bettwean the two.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 09:37 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

trappintime wrote:

They can dang well try and make a living with out using my resources doc. :evil: Even a prostitute sells something that is theirs and not ours :wink: .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WHEW! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 09:39 

Boy have you two derailed this thread :oops: :evil: :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 13:20 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: I apologize but I just have to point out wisdom as I see it.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 18:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
Honestly, I am sorry, but you don't see the side of life from the poor boy hunter. Your outfitter leases up land that now others cannot hunt without paying them to hunt, though many can't afford it. The more money they make, the more land they lease, the FEWER real every day hunters there are from lack of money or a place to hunt. Your outfitter isn't helping hunting, they are destroying it. Bill Jordan says after every one of his shows," ...and remember to take a child hunting''.... Yet, he uses outfitters like yours making them rich so they can buy or lease up more and more land so that a regular poor "Joe" hunter CAN'T take their kid hunting.

So, if you don't mind, I think I won't be clicking on this thread anymore, as I don't want to see your bragging about working for someone that is part of something that is keeping hundreds of kids from hunting. I am NOT impressed at all. :x

My thoughts exactly :--D

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 19:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I guess you need to look at the good and the bad... Outfitters provide opportunities for people to experience the hunt of a lifetime, bagging trophy animals. On the otherhand, only those people able to pay can have that hunt... I cant think of anymore "good" things they do.... Outfitters also prohibit public access to large tracts of good game land, which is dwindling everyday. I guess in todays world of privatization, where nothing is excluded from peoples' desire to make money, even space exploration, the opportunity to just get out and hunt is goin to cost ya...

Anyways, congratulations on the wolf. Although, I dont think "killing them all" would be such a good idea in the long run

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 22:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just going to add my 2 cents. I live in wolf country and have my whole life. One wolf or a pack does not make a kill every day so there fore i have a hard time with the amount one wolf will kill in a year. In most cases one wolf will not bring down a large animal with out help from the others. As far as outfitters well everyone has to eat as long as it does not interfere with joe public hunter getting a chance too.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 00:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ever seen a pack of wolves run elk in deep snow? Or deer? they stop killing when they are exausted or the game is all dead.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 06:53 

Woodswalker wrote:
Ever seen a pack of wolves run elk in deep snow? Or deer? they stop killing when they are exausted or the game is all dead.

Nope, can't say I've ever witnessed that :D . How many animals did you see them kill while doing this? I have witnessed a guide telling me I couldn't go on a piece of land cause he had a guy hunting there, only problem that time was it was my land :roll: .

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 07:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Woodswalker wrote:

Not Elk but deer yes and they seem to target one animal out of the group that i have seen. I have also seen them on the ice after a moose which did not go well for the wolf.