Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 21:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I picked up a copy of the 2012 South Dakota Hunting and Trapping Handbook and found out they've changed some regs on us.

220 cubbys on public land and public road-right-of-ways have to be more refined. Any bodygripper between 6 3/4 inches (160s) and 8 inches jaw spread must be recessed in a baited, lured, or scented plastic, wood, or metal cubby a minimum of 7 inches from the front of the cubbyto the trigger of the trap. OR the such sized trap must be submerged below the water. I guess a dog won't stick its head in a bucket further than 7 inches, eh?

Blind set 220s or Charlie's method of setting for an occupied badger hole now only legal on private land.

The area allowed for bobcat trapping has expanded slightly (first time anything has changed in bcat regs for close to 30 years). They opened an "East River Season" (3 weeks) in 5 counties that line the east side of the Missouri River (Buffalo, Brule, Charles Mix, Bon Homme, and Yankton). All of these counties have wooded break land leading down to the river (mostly cedars/juniper for the first 3 listed and mostly decidious forest in the last 2). A hunter/trapper may take 1 bcat in this east river unit.

Landowners or land leasees may shoot muskets with a .22 rimfire or smaller or shotgun between April 1 and Aug. 31. It had been legal to shoot mrats in 5 west river counties for a long time. Muskrat digging can weaken small stock watering dams and I suppose mrats can nest and eat into farm infrastructure in other ways that cause problems. I suppose if there was late ice out and guys could get clean 1-shot head shots, they could sell some spring mrats for their fur??

There was also a change to the colony trap reg but it was be very slight because I can't figure it out without looking at last year's regs...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 09:51 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

They have tightened up some regs here in Ks too, slightly, but we now can't set traps with more than a 7" jaw spread on land, only water. This is not really a big deal but I am raising an eyebrow about what they have in mind with future regs. Kansas is pretty conservative with thier trapping regs, but to bring on any changes makes me think someone may be making some noise. :evil:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 19:13 

That's funny about your new bodygrip regs PC. Ours is the same! Any bodygrip trap has to be placed 7 inches back in any type of cubby. The only difference is we can't use bodygrips on land, they have to be in a water course. That regulation I've never fully understood. I know a "water course" would be a stream, river, lake or pond but cit be set along or has has to be in? It's very vague.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 20:41 

five years ago they established the "lynx zone" here in mn to keep the lynx from crossing into areas they are not legally supposed to go, cuz fed govt regs are that good doncha ya know. i am lucky enough to run traps there and we have had the 7 inch rule for 5 years or so. our 220s have to be recessed 7 inches on the top and sides. oh yeah, and the opening cannot exceed 50 square inches...wait'll your state gets around to that. well, this year, the rest of the state gets to enjoy a 7 inch rule except they only need to add an extension to the top of their cubbies. we had the perfect storm this year consisting of no snow storms and no expectations of responsibility for dogs by their owners. therefore, it must be the fault of trappers, because we all know that dogs run the woods because they are chasing will-o-the-wisps. they dont hunt, they dont pack, and they dont kill. plus since they are like children with fur coats, its ok to let them run off out of sight when you are out leaf watching or trying to break your record for number of blackbirds that have crapped on your back while leaf watching. i like the lack of competition in the woods, but i dont like being in the minority. particularly when the majority of users of the woods i frequent, carelessly dump their crap wherever they feel like it, tear up roads and trails with wheelers, tresspass, or feel only their sport should matter. then they leave. we definatly must be careful about the incidental taking of lynx.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 08:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

OK I'll vent a little, lol. I being a trapper and a houndsman like the seven inch rule. If I had my way there wouldn't be any 220's set in buckets on dry ground. They are hound killers for sure. I have never lost a hound to one but have heard the horror stories of ones that have. The seven inch rule may be a good compromise and save a hound.

J

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 15:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I talked to an old high school friend of mine at the youth duck hunt on Sat. He's worked for the state agency for 25+ years and I talked to him about the new 220 rules. He said it was a compromise for public land because there were guys who had lost bird dogs last winter because of all the coon trapping in Dec. when usually they are denned up. My friend said that if certain folks would have pushed it in the legislature, 220s probably would have been banned totally on public land. I'm ok with the modification. It will just cause me to build a better mouse trap that may end up being more effective than my plastic buckets that I have used in the recent past. People will either adjust to the new regs or go and find private land somewhere...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 05:47 

NonPCfed wrote:
I talked to an old high school friend of mine at the youth duck hunt on Sat. He's worked for the state agency for 25+ years and I talked to him about the new 220 rules. He said it was a compromise for public land because there were guys who had lost bird dogs last winter because of all the coon trapping in Dec. when usually they are denned up. My friend said that if certain folks would have pushed it in the legislature, 220s probably would have been banned totally on public land. I'm ok with the modification. It will just cause me to build a better mouse trap that may end up being more effective than my plastic buckets that I have used in the recent past. People will either adjust to the new regs or go and find private land somewhere...

That is the main reason we cannot set bodygrips on dry land here due to problems with not only hunting dogs but people walking dogs as well. In Pennsylvania, we are blessed to have more than 2.5 million acres of public land open to hunting, fishing and trapping but it is available to everybody and there is always a large amount of people using these public lands who don't hunt or trap, they usually are walking the dogs. I live next to a State Forest and I trap this regularly but I'm very careful where I set any trap. Fortunately, when November rolls around the dog walking activity is minimal but does still exist.
Every year the Game Commision opens the regulation book to public comment and discusses changes and every interest group has their say whether it's Grouse Unlimited, QDMA, PA Trappers or the PA houndsmen. The trappers are always the minority and it's amazing that we have as much as we have.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 20:09 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I don't even own a foothold trap that is 7" and really see no need for one at this point. If that 650 won't hold it, then I don't want it waiting there for me anyway. :lol: As far as the body grippers go, I have been migrating toward the 160 instead of the 220 for buckets, but I suppose a dog could get in them too, but maybe not as far and get his snout smacked. I have gotten to where I get to do a little "get your dog out of a trap" segment in hunter ed classes and I tell them straight out, that if the dog gets in a body gripper that he is in trouble. Other traps, not so much. In blind sets made with coni's, I believe a dog will do just like a yote and cruise over them.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.