Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 21:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey y'all. I'm back and it's good to be back to share stories with y'all TN trappers. I thought I would make a place for us to share storeis and pics as our season goes on.

So far i have caught 2 coon and 8 beaver. I also managed to kill my first doe over during opening weekend of muzzleloader season. On the first checking day of the season i had 4 beaver. One weighed 53 lb, 2 weighed 58 lb, and the biggest was 59 lbs. Had to dig one up out of the lodge. Caught it in a snare and it dug down through the top of the loge. Spent an hour diggin and then had to crawl in the tunnel to shoot it. It was worth it though. Trapping a place now with an albino beaver. Hoping i catch it.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 16:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good to hear from you. My catches are in my sig plus 3 stolen coons. I dealt with that pro blem and now trying to get some sets out. Beaver up and left the area on me. All except one lone beaver in an old bank den. Gonna try and get a set on his caster mounds tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have most of my traps out.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 19:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Managed to get 6 beaver yesterday morning. This morning i had 2 beaver, 1 coon, and 2 otter. No albino though. Im going back to this site over my christmas break though. maybe i can get him then. I dont have any traps out at the moment except 1 cage trap. Going to run another line tomorrow and do some duck hunting. Im doing really good on beaver this year. Im prod of myself but my coon numbers are disappointing. Oh well, theres still a lot of trapping season ahead.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 22:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thought i would share a story of some of my bad luck over the course of the last few months. On opening day of muzzleloader season at 6:00 p.m. we received a phone call from a gal who was hunting on land that joins ours. She said she had mistaken one of our black angus/charolais heifers for a deer and had shot it. Couldnt believe that. Got back there and she had shot the thing in the spine and i had to finish it off. Called the cops and the game warden Game warden couldnt make it and the cops didnt show so after 2 hours we took the beef to the processor. the gal payed for the heifer tho so it didnt end to badly but it was a stressful night. the whole ordeal ened at midnight.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 19:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Congrats on the otters and beavers!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 11:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks. I was going to run another line yesterday but had to put it off. Also the coons here dont seem to be quite prime yet. Still pretty blue. How is the fur lookin in your area? Im going to hold off on the hardcore coon trapping until i see better looking hides and just target beaver mostly right now.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 18:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Whistle-Pig....don't think I have forgotten about the SAFARI PICTURES.......looking forward to seeing them. :roll: :?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 23:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Coon fur is good. I think everything but the cats are prime.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 17:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Huh. our bigger boars are looking okay but sows arent. They usually seem to change a little later anyways tho.

Swamp, i know i havent posted pics. I will try ASAP

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 19:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We seem to be 2 weeks ahead of the rest of the state in everything here in the mountains. Although I did get a sow today that had a tiny bit of blue in her

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 21:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I hope they change here soon so i can start trappin them more seriously. Id hate to trap out all coon hot spots before they get prime. If i want to catch 75 before the end of season they really need to change soon. We are gettin some cold weather here now tho so that should help. May even get some snow tonight. I am really impressed with my beaver turn out though. I already have 16. Last year i eneded with 25 plus 2 i shot so i am way i ahead. i gotta good chance of reachin my goal of 50. I am doing way better on otter than i wouldve thought too. Tied with last year and double my goal for the season lol. Now i just need to find a good rat spot and somehow catch one of those elusive mink. Gunna try and set a good line for the weekend.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 18:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Haven"t done much lately. Picked up a couple more beaver and some grinner but thats it. Hopin to pick up a lot of coons in the next few weeks

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 00:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Water levels are rising and falling constantly with this on again ooff again rain we been getting. A landowner did give me and otter that got by my traps. He shot it heading from the creek to his pond. Also got my first mink in the creek. Beaver trapping been good, but I aint been trying to hard...I hate putting them up...lol

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 08:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

easttntrapper wrote:
Water levels are rising and falling constantly with this on again ooff again rain we been getting. A landowner did give me and otter that got by my traps. He shot it heading from the creek to his pond. Also got my first mink in the creek. Beaver trapping been good, but I aint been trying to hard...I hate putting them up...lol

That sounds like a winner either way....an otter on the board is an otter on the board. With water levels flucuating you sometimes can have high and low set locations ready to adjust where your traps will be. If you have enough traps you can have both in position and be ahead of the situation.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 00:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
easttntrapper wrote:

That sounds like a winner either way....an otter on the board is an otter on the board. With water levels flucuating you sometimes can have high and low set locations ready to adjust where your traps will be. If you have enough traps you can have both in position and be ahead of the situation.

Steel jawed legholds and conis have to be in the water in TN so when it drops I have to reset or pull them...Its a real pain. O and I did trap my first otter of the year.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 18:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have beaten my record on beaver (25) and i still have 2 months of trapping left :D coon numbers have finally picked up. at least i made it to double digits. I just wish i could get into a few rats and maybe catch a mink. i also wouldnt mind pickin up another otter or 2 and maybe some yotes. im plannin on runnin snares for yotes on some land i snared last year after deer season is over.

What kinda set are you using to catch your rats, easttn?

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 19:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I am using blind sets were they are going in and out of the water. and bottom edge sets. When targeting rats think mini beaver. Same sets work for both just on a smaller scale. If your having trouble, Hawbakers rat lure #1 works great. Though all the rats I have gotten are all in my mink sets. There is very few rats around here so I am pleased the the 5 I got.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 20:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I finally caught my first rat of the season today but it was in an otter set i made with a duke #4 on a drowning rig. I also caught my biggest beaver ever today. It weighed 62 lbs. I have set new records on both coon and beaver weight this year :D I pulled all of my traps and am planning on going to a spot of public land tomorrow. Hoping i can catch some rats there. I saw a lot at this spot in the summer while i was bowfishing. Its one of the few places i have ever seen a decent number of rats.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 21:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Made plans for tomorrow. Got my traps ready to go. I have to go back to school on tuesday so i need to make the most of tomorrow night and sunday night before i have to pull after checkin monday morning.

On a another note, I picked up a nice buck mink on the side of the road today. Since i cant catch the little elusive rascals i figured i could at least skin this one to have a hide to sell.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 19:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Caught 3 beaver and 5 coons last night. I also had 2 grinners that i released. They were both small. I also had another beaver in a snare that had been shot with a 12 gauge and stolen. It had happened early in the morning before i got there because the blood was still wet and so was a big mound of brain matter. Must have been some duck hunters. This was my first encounter with theives. I hate anyone who steals from others :evil: Gotta get up early tomorrow to pull my line since i go back to school on tuesday.

I made a pretty good otter set today. Hope it produces a nice one :D

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 13:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just 1 coon and 2 beaver today. Caught one beaver in a culvert going from a small pond into sycamore creek and the other on a slide with a fake castor mound, both in 330s. The coon was in a DP. Also had a small grinner in a DP and released it and i ad an unusual catch. It was a mouse in a Duke DP lol :lol: No sign of anymore beaver thieves today. Thats good

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 17:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Only have 2 cage traps out now but no catches today. Kinda boring not having anything to skin lol. I'm hoping to get a few more traps out soon. Very soon.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 19:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Set a few rat,beaver,otter, and coon sets today on a creek only about 2 miles from my house. I hope i have some fur tomorrow.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 18:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nothin' but 1 rat today. Also had a thrown #1 jump trap and #4 set for beaver. Not a great day but at least i caught another rat for the season

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 17:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Two days in a row with NO FUR. I dont understand whats up. I guess im going to have to move to a new area soon.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1