Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 22:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beaver help
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 15:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hello from SC .. I just got back into trappin this year.. I got some traps from A in law on the cheap..,And rembering the fun I had when I was A kid decided to give it A try.. Well I also ordered 2 dozen snares I have caught 3 beavers of my brothers land 2 with # 2 victores and 1 with A snare...Well heres the rub, I got this guy from the city sewer dept.says that he has all kinda beaver problems and I got his #, But all the three beavers I caught had to be dispatched.. I evan had A missing snare or two... Should I keep expermeanting with what I got # 2s And snares or invest A load of money in big connies??

Post subject: Re: Beaver help
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 19:31 
Trapper
Trapper

Jeff,
I caught several beavers last spring for a friend using nothing but snares and that was my first time at trying to trap them. I've read Hal Sullivan, talked to some of the good folks here on WAT, and I've come to the conclusion the 330 coni is the way to go. I've still got a few snares out right now at a job I'm doing, but no catches with them yet. Yes, you will have to dispatch the snare caught ones and they really turn circles and chew down everything in site including your snare cable. Also the snares, if not placed properly and held open right, will sometimes collapse, or debris from a running stream will bump into them and make them close up and you've wasted a night. Even the beaver while carrying sticks to repair his dam will make them close up. Snares are alright in situations where the coni might be a danger to pets, kids, and curious people.
JMHO..... get you a few 330s.
TJ

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 21:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well Conis are the way to go but snares are great and used right catch a ton I do damage control as well as trap for sport I use snares in spots that are open they can cause the beaver to move more to investigate so put Cornis around the perimiter. To increase catches don't count snares out but make sure and wire them off well to the base of a large tree log or put it on a drowner but Cornish are nice no dispatch and are gerneraly fail proof unless a beaver shoves a stick thru and sets it off or u don't brace it down and they shove it over or you loose one then snares are nicer because they are cheaper.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 16:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ok thats kinda what I was thinking ill take some of the money I make of some fures mabey, and buy A few connies by next year at least..thanks :D

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 09:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Jeff, I have to agree with Micha, all the way. Connis are great, but I like the snare since I can carry so many of them, for the weight of one Conni. Beaver can cause you to have a spell too, and will get smart, then I have to get out the leg holds as a last resort. Set with a drowner, even number 2s will hold on a front leg long enough to dispatch, and have seen a few held with number 11s.

Oh, and with a snare, what I have found, most will be alive, and not at all happy. Be careful with them, and if you can't check them early, you will loose a few. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 20:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

he he I caught a .. lol what do you call them Kit beaver.. I was gonna release it but evan though small I was afraid it might chew my foot off.. I gotta get A catch pole :roll: