Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 08:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to skunks
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 13:18 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi everybody, im about to go into skunk trapping hard core. Never trapped skunks and to my suprise have never even caught one. There are a ton of the little buggers running around the area that's beggin to be caught but i don't realy know the best way to get'm. Want to market the essence but would't know who to sell it to if i had it to sell. I figured if anyone knew anything about skunk trappin it would be yall. Any tips would be apriciated.

Thanks,

One Leg

Post subject: Re: new to skunks
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 15:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT One Leg, we do have some super skunk trappers on here and some seem to enjoy being sprayed with the essence! :mrgreen: I would not be one of those folks. Where are you located and will you be using live traps or steel traps on your skunk trapping adventures? Do you intend on collecting the skunk essence (other than on your clothes and body)? I think you will find most all question you have will be answered ... some with more humor than educational value. If you get to the dispatching details, keep them to a minimum (non-graphic) and the same with any photos you may post later on. :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 16:33 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Welcome 1 leg! If you want to catch a ton of skunks, just go round making the most perfect bobcat sets you can and it seems to draw them like flies to a turd. I have yet to catch one on purpose. :evil: The first one I ever caught was in a cage trap. I shot a starling and chucked it in the back of the trap and set the trap by a brushpile, next morning went out and reaped the benefits. :mrgreen: This would work well in a bucket guarded with a 160 or 220 also. Good luck! REALLY GOOD LUCK!!!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 11:05 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the replys. I plan on building my own traps for skunks. Somthing like a rabbit box. Maybe out of PVC or one-bi lumber. No holes except for the door. Don't plan on useing leg holds. I'll get spray'd to much. There's alot of farm land in this part of western NC so i think i'll hit the barns this season for skunks. Seems to be where they hang their hats around here. I want to collect the essense but dont know how to extract it, how to store it, or who to sell it to.

One Leg

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 12:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

One Leg wrote:
Thanks for the replys. I plan on building my own traps for skunks. Somthing like a rabbit box. Maybe out of PVC or one-bi lumber. No holes except for the door. Don't plan on useing leg holds. I'll get spray'd to much. There's alot of farm land in this part of western NC so i think i'll hit the barns this season for skunks. Seems to be where they hang their hats around here. I want to collect the essense but dont know how to extract it, how to store it, or who to sell it to.

One Leg

Trappintime had a picture posted once of some items he saw at an estate sale in his part of the world and there were a large selection of homemade traps with a "gas pipe" attached to them.....I suppose they were used to "gas" the skunks.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 13:14 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

There's alot of small streams in this part of the country. I planned on given the skunk a dip if you know what i mean. :o

One Leg

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 16:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

One Leg wrote:
There's alot of small streams in this part of the country. I planned on given the skunk a dip if you know what i mean. :o

One Leg

I know what you mean, but dunking doesn't stop them from spraying! :shock:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 12:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As far as extracting the essence. A very Large hypodermic needle is what most if not all people use. The glands are just under the tail, slightly on either side. Just be careful messin around down there as it is under pressure. As far as selling it. I think most lure manufacturers would be interested in it. There are more knowledgeable people on here than I though so I am sure better advice is coming.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 20:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

when you get them to the creek don't just drop them in, slowly lower them in, put a rock on the box trap and go on about your business for a couple minutes. Just go about everything real easy and slow, and it'll keep the vast majority from spraying.

Extracting the essence do as Woodswalker said, use a hypodermic needle. A container that we are looking at to store the essence in is an empty horse vaccine container. Rubber top keeps smell in, and u can inject it directly into the container after u extract it from the skunk. The problem may be though is finding a vet willing to give them to you.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 12:02 
Trapper
Trapper

In my area, the one thing that they seem to run to, of all things is peanut butter. I got 15 in one acre, near a Church they were getting under. Had 2 in one trap one time. Was just using live traps, and they worked great! Oh, one bit of advice, if you have help with you, and the door won't open to let them out, keep an eye on them, some people like to help out by opening the door when you may not be ready for it to come open, when you are say, right over the trap and your face is less than a foot from the hole he is going to come out of......lol he took 2 steps out, and tail went right up, not a good place to be right then, but he did not spray, thank goodness. Somehow looking at a skunk that way will change your outlook on life...... Yeah it is kind of funny to me now, got to have fun in all you do.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 12:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Catman50plus wrote:
In my area, the one thing that they seem to run to, of all things is peanut butter. I got 15 in one acre, near a Church they were getting under. Had 2 in one trap one time. Was just using live traps, and they worked great! Oh, one bit of advice, if you have help with you, and the door won't open to let them out, keep an eye on them, some people like to help out by opening the door when you may not be ready for it to come open, when you are say, right over the trap and your face is less than a foot from the hole he is going to come out of......lol he took 2 steps out, and tail went right up, not a good place to be right then, but he did not spray, thank goodness. Somehow looking at a skunk that way will change your outlook on life...... Yeah it is kind of funny to me now, got to have fun in all you do.

:shock: :--o :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 13:19 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

I have done quite a few in cage traps and haven't had one spray underwater yet. I would caution you to leave it submerged for at leaste 30 minutes, especially in cold water. I have had one come back after 20 minutes and start wandering around. Not good.
I get syringes from the feed store and use the biggest guage needle they have, 16 I think. Position the gland so you can inject it with the needle pointing up slightly or when you pull it out, the oil will drip out and stink for a long time. You can get vacuum bottles on the internet for storage. I use empty one ounce lure bottles that have been washed out or are new. Then I put that in another jar with a lid. It contains the odor fairly well. I got 3-4 bucks a skin for them too, add that to 15 bucks an ounce, it aint too bad. There is a book called something like "innovative skunk control". Good information in there about dispatching without spraying.

Have fun.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.