Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 01:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2009, 15:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

So....what do you guys think about making sausage casings out of deer instestine? I have heard that casings are pig and cow intestines, so why cant you make casings from a deer? I would think that after you wash it out REALLY good, and I mean REALLLLY good, it would be edible. For the sake of using the most of your deer, what do you think?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2009, 15:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Cajuns make it using pig intestines. Call it Budan (sp?). Ya just cut off the casing, and eat the insides. Had it once. Tasted pretty good.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2009, 19:16 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Coon I've read a fair bit about sausage making and deer intestines will work fine for sausage. Smaller than pig and more like sheep in size. You turn them inside out to clean the linings out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2009, 19:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Boom alot of sausage is made in naturel cassing {gut of one kind or another} Ever eaten bologna, thats cow bung, smokies are made of pork gut, breakfast sausage is sheep casing and the list keeps going. You have eaten more kinds of intestine than you would ever guess :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 12:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Old timers used deer intestine. I make my links, summer sausage etc without any casing. I imagine the health deptartment would have concern's over using deer this way but as long as your careful and dont consume sick deer. Gramps used moose intestine when they lived in Maine. Here's how I would clean them, wash the outside, turn them inside out and wash them throughly then boil them for about 20 min in salted water. Just my thoughts.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 13:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Below is an excerpt from the book, An American Epic of Discovery The Lewis and Clark Journals (spelling is like that in the book) from pages 106 & 107 Lewis wrote:

May 9, 1805

...from the cow I killed we saved the necessary materials for making what our wrighthand cook Charbono calls the boudin blanc, and immediately set him about preparing them for supper; this white pudding we all esteem one of the greatest delacies of the forrest, it may not be amiss therefore to give it a place. About 6 feet of the lower extremity of the large gut of the Buffaloe is the first mosel that the cook makes love to, this he holds fast at one end with the right hand, while with the forefinger and thumb of the left he gently compresses it, and discharges what he says is not good to eat, but of which in the squel we get a moderate portion; the mustle lying underneath shoulder blade next to the back, and fillets are next saught, these are needed up very fine with a good portion of kidney suit [suet]; to this composition is then added a just proportion of pepper and salt and a small quantity of flour; thus far advanced, our skilful opporator C----o seizes his recepticle, which has never once touched the water, for that would intirely distroy the regular order of the whole procedure...the operator sceizes the recepticle I say, and tying it fast at one end turns it inwards and begins now with repeated evolutions of the hand and arm, and a brisk motion of the finger and thumb to put in what he says is bon pour manger; thus by stuffing and compressing he soon distends the recepticle to the utmost limmits or it's power of expansion, and in the course of it's longtudinal progress it drives from the other end of the recepticle a mch larger portion of the ...all is compleatly filled with something good to eat, it is tyed at the other end, but not any cut off, for that would make the pattern too scant; it is then baptised in the missouri with two dips and a flirt, and bobbed into the kettle; from whence after it be well boiled it is taken and fryed with bears oil untill it becomes brown, when it is ready to esswage the pangs of a keen appetite or such as travelers in the wilderness are seldom at a loss for.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 12:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sure can. I've been making it that way for years and it's very tasty. Just squeeze the gunk out and rinse them real well. Then I soak them in salt water for a day or so. If I'm not going to use them up right away I pack them in salt and store in the fridge.