Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 16:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 20:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We made this 3 days last week. We used meat from kits and smalls. Im not sure how bigger beaver would turn out? First night we had'em with a slice of onion and Country Bobs steak sauce on toasted buns( babes had drank most of the milk). Other two nights we had'em with milk gravy. We took about 10 lbs of back leg steaks, all 2"-4" wide and about 3/4" thick. I tenderized them with a spike tenderizer( pampered chef). Flattened them to about 1/4". Soak for 24 hours(in the fridge) in your favorite marinade, we used mcCormicks steak and chop on all but about 2lbs, they got teriyaki. We sorted them to size as they flattened out nicely under the tenderizer. They seem to freeze well, i layered them with wax paper and put about 4lbs in the freezer. Heres how i fried em, milk and egg wash(1egg-1cup milk, buttermilk would've been better but i didnt have any), then seasoned flour (soul seasoning and Greek seasoning). 2nd eggn milk wash then once thru the flour again. Medium heat, about 1/2" of oil. Turning once. The edges on the "up" side start browning when its time for the one flip. Drain well. We made our gravy right in the drippings. Used the extra dredging flour and milk egg mix also(had to add a little milk n flour too). I was really surprised how well they turned out. My oldest put humus on his and declared it delicious.. I declined that option. They can run a little small for sandwiches so we stacked several on each the first night.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 16:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yummmmm.

Sounds soo good.

I've eaten beaver and it's delicious. Not gamy or oily like I'd expected.
recently had coon for the first time. and that was tasty too.

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 05:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Beaver reminds me of a very dry/lean beef. Coons good but so rich. I prefer muskrat over those two. Only downside they dont have as much meat as a beaver or coon but the meat is sweeter i think? Any of the 3 are good bbq'd and pulled like a pork butt or shoulder. Larding helps the beaver roasts/meat stay moist. Our main goal on our beaver line is meat and castor. Hides are almost a by product at .50-$4.