Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cagin coon
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007, 19:49 
Trapper
Trapper

any advice for catching coon and fox in cage traps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007, 15:17 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I've been having great success with using sardines for coon, and adding a small dab of coon poon to a stick near the trap. I havent targeted fox, but know of a few guys that live trap them all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 16:40 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

eggs work well with coon. it will all so keep other non target animals out the only thing i have found in my live traps with an egg are coons and sunks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 20:23 
Trapper
Trapper

i just found 2 dozen old eggs that my chickens must have been hiding from me. do i crack the egg open or leave it closed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 00:03 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

closed. if you have chickens around and the coons have been getting in to your coop trust me it wont take long. a few tips build some sort of sturdy cover for your live trap so when you are carrying it the coon can not see you this will help keep them a bit more calm and it will keep them form trying to get you through the cage. next remember a coon will reach through the cage and get there grubby little paws on any thing that is in reach so if you are going to keep it for training of hounds or such put some thing heavy on the cage to keep them from pulling the cage around you garage shed what not. coming in and finding that they have pull in and chewed up a good cord or such is not a great feeling. lats if you can always put a zip(wire) tie on the cage door be for you transport it with a live coon. trust me it not a good thing to be standing there with a surprised look on your face an empty trap in your hand and a less then pleased coon at your feet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2007, 14:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thatd be funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 20:59 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Sardines are good for coon , I have also had good luck with bacon grease. Sardines and grease also catch possum and skunk. Have never caught a fox in a cage trap. Would like to know how to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2008, 07:21 
Trapper
Trapper

I’ll agree that sardines and eggs are great for coons and skunk. Never cage trapped a fox though.

If you are trapping coons around homes, I’d recommend avoiding the sardines unless you like catching cats. I learned that lesson well one fall. My urban bait is the sweet stuff…peanut butter, molasses, and jelly doughnuts…pretty of coon and skunks, and no cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2008, 08:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Having a coon at your feet and not in the cage trap would probably be funny to an onlooker.....one time a neighbor called and said he had caught two half grown coons and wanted to know if I wanted them (at that time I had several coons in cages). I went over thinking he'd have them in a cage so I could transport the mile back to my house....not....so we put them in a paper feed sack, I put the sack in the floor board of my pickup and about a half mile from my house I saw a coon looking up at me between my legs and his front paws on the truck seat! :shock: Luckily it shocked him as much as it did me....I drove home using my tiptoes and he hid under the truck seat...the other remained in the sack. Try getting a small coon out from under your truck seat some time. I finally had to get one of my dogs and put her in the truck and let her manage what I couldn't do..... :( poor little coon.....it should have stayed in the sack. So securing your live trap door is an important factor.....or taking a cage with you when some one give you a live varmint!!!

Post subject: cagin coon
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 14:56 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I usually use peanut butter cookies or chicken for bait for coon. The last time I set the trap I used tomatoes. To my surprise I had a young gray fox kit in trap. We set it free ,hopefully it will find its way back to the trap in the fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2008, 22:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

best bait for coons in a live trap is a honey bun put under the bait pan...has any one noticed that it usually takes 3 days to catch a coon in a live trap. it almost always takes me 3 days to catch a coon just wanderin if that is the case for anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2008, 22:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Here in the city commercial cat food works pretty well. The coon is not as small as it appears...just a very large trap. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2008, 12:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

marshmellow's soaked in grape jell ...I can not be held responsible if you are attacked and mauled by large number's of coon's while useing this bait.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 22:43 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Houndsman wrote:
best bait for coons in a live trap is a honey bun put under the bait pan...has any one noticed that it usually takes 3 days to catch a coon in a live trap. it almost always takes me 3 days to catch a coon just wanderin if that is the case for anyone else.

Yes houndsman, I thought it was just me, but I never catch a coon the first several days after I set a cage trap.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 07:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

never had that problem....I don't know if it's the bait or it's the dumb coon's we got ....but I can set one of my cage trap..and the same night catch a coon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 21:13 
Trapper
Trapper

honeybuns or marshmallows is the way to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 21:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yep that's how we catch all of ours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 21:22 
Trapper
Trapper

yep, works everytime :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 21:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

sardines are pretty effective too but honey buns and marshmallows seem to do better.