Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 08:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: snares?
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2008, 18:54 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Well I have done quite a bit of walking the property the last few weeks. I have seen sign of Armadillos, Raccoons . I have found a few places where they are crossing under fences to get back and forth. Well worn down grass as well. Would these places be good to use snares at?

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2008, 23:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As long as your state alows it, it is. Some folks prefer to set the snares a little ways off from the fence, especially if it's barbed wire and you want the fur.Also, if there's livestock on one side, it can help to set it off to the other side to avoid them getting hung up in it. Some states require you to set snares where they can't reach anything they could tangle on, so you may, again, have to set off to one side or the other. I've never heard of snaring Texas speed bumps (armodillos), but I don't guess that means you CAN'T. Depending on who you ask, or where you look, the height and loop size preferance may vary, but to get you started, coon lood size around 6-8" across and hieght 3-4" to the bottom. Others may say a little differant. Just preferance. Ofcourse, the height may have to vary if under a fence. You just don't want it high enough that he goes under it, of low enough that he steps his foot (or both feet) threw it. Hope this helps get you started, and good luck.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)