Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looks lonely
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 18:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Ok I will be the first to post.... If there are any other Texas trappers out there holler back so we can meet up or even trade secrets or what ever... I am about to be in a lull from filming and I will be on the trap line until Feb, and then getting ready for Spring Turkey season...Very Busy Time.....

Also we are always looking for places to film for Hogs, Deer, Turkey and Predators.. We will be releaseing our 2nd volume hunting video in 2009 and we are gathering hunts on film for TV in July of 2008 on the Sportsmans Channel. So if there are any folks out there that have places that hold any of these animals and would not mind us filming a show or two on them holler at me...

&...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 18:39 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

:) Okay Texas Trapper I'll bite, You sound like someone on the Texas boars web site. I use the same handle on that web site. I still haven't set a fur trap yet but I will have to real soon, the coons have come with a vengeance to my hog traps which I just got set yesterday. I need to get a fleshing board and some stretchers made real soon. Had a fire in 2003 and lost everything but my traps, lures, and snares. they were in the barn, the shed and house burnt to the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 21:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Brother sorry to here about the fire. I have seen fire take everything away from people and then at times leave all the material things and just take thier life, it is a very strange animal.

This is the only fourm I am on, I just started back setting traps agian after a 27 year lay off.... Nothing has changed other than a few new 21 st century gadgets for the trapping world. I have just stayed with what I know and I have a freezer full already.

I have found that there is no such thing as a traveling fur buyer anymore to speak of, and I am not set up for fleshing and stretching and drying. I have found a person out of Kansas that will be in the panhandle of Texas in March to buy furs so I will make the drive up there to sell.

If you are trapping hogs then you probably have a few places to film, if this ever does come up we would love to film a few hog hunts (Archery & Black Powder) for our video series and up coming TV show.

Just give me holler if you come across a place or two and we can make a date for the hunts and filming. We have several sponsors so the hunts have to be some what controlled... ie.. We hunt from Double Bull Blinds, with Mathew Bows and CVA Black Powders etc..ect.. We have to get our sponsors equipment in the hunts as per agreements.

I need a large hog on film right now taken with a Horton Cross Bow, if you have one located or know where one is that will hit that 350 to 450 range I really would like to shoot him on film so I can send the tape off to Horton Crossbows. They will put the hunt on thier Video as well as we will use it on our video and TV show in 2008/2009...

& but always

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2007, 15:37 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

:D Hi Texas Trapper, There might be a fur buyer or two in Texas, you can check with cadams on the texasboars web site. He is with the Texas Trappers Assoc. He usually posts in the predator forum. I have recovered from the fire well, God does provide as long as you are faithfully.
I am sorry, but I don't have any places to film. I trap on private ranches that want the hogs gone. I haven't seen any real big hogs around, Just average size 80 lbs to 200 lbs. I have been waiting for the hogs to get the acorns cleaned up so I can lure them into the traps. Should happen soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2008, 22:32 
Trapper
Trapper

where do you trap in texas, i live in lumberton

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 08:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the fur connection, and you are right about the acorns, they really messed with the deer hunting this year also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 08:20 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

:) I live just outside of Corsicana, TX. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2008, 10:41 
Trapper
Trapper

I am about 30 miles west of Fort Worth

Post subject: hey guys
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 12:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

im in texas to haha im really new to all of this. if yall have any advice about trappin stuff in texas holler at me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 13:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Rh89- What are you wanting to know about? Are you trapping on a farm, on a deer lease, open hardwoods, swampy area, creeks, ponds, lakes, river? What is your main target animals? How long have you trapped? Do you have much equipment? Will you be using leghold, Conibears, and/or snares? On this entire Forum, there is some one who can help you with any sort of questions you may have. Just be as specific as possible on what you need to know about. Most everyone has a good sense of humor and will usually throw in a little as they share their knowledge. Try and read as much of the old discussions on this Forum....a lot of your questions will be answered before you ask. Also the Archives at the bottom are full of detailed insturctions. Glad you're onboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 20:37 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

:D I agree with Swamp Rat, Lots of info in the past posts and don't be afraid of asking questions. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 16:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Say FurTrapper....where have you been? When we went through Corsicana the other day I was wondering if you were on one of the highway crews I saw working on I-45? You did say you worked for the state, but I just assumed you meant the Highway Dept. But then I again I know what assuming does. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 18:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well I guess I'm pretty lucky I trap on my farm and four other ppl have gave me permission to trap on their places. So I have access to just about any kind of land. This next season I'd like to trap at least one of every furbearer in east Texas. I'm about 10 min from gander mountain so Its not much problem to get diff traps. I have a lot of old victor long spring but I'm going to the coil spring type. One snare an no conibear. I really want to catch mink because my dad had never seen one an I'd like to show him I can do it. I been trapping maybe a month an a half all recreational. Theres a really large coyote pop in my area so I'm trying to thin them out. And we also have a skunk problem. Its not fun to catch them but it needs to be done

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 18:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

sorry if I don't seem to kno much about trapping I'm only 18

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 19:01 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

No need for an apology....you will learn, it is just hard to learn some of it on your own. Keep reading all the Forum items, ask questions, mull over the answers and keep up with the suggestions you think will work on your territory. Dirt trapping and water trapping each have to be approached in their own manner. I have found that once you are "set up", water trapping is much faster than dirt. With our weather changes, sometimes dirt sets can go bad in just one overnight rainfall (especially if it is followed with a freeze. That is when the snares and Conibears come into play....they work well in most all conditions. If you decide to use some Conibears, BE CAREFUL! They will snap you before you can blink an eye and don't let go without some help....unless you know what to do and have the strength to do it. Best to try and avoid such situations. But feel good about asking questons, read the Forum and some will be answered even before you ask. If you have a particular set situation, post it with as much detail as you can and the readers will assist you with their methods and suggestions. This is a good site to learn from. Good Luck!!!

Post subject: New agin to trapping
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 17:00 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Been in TX about a year -gonna try mmy hand again.

From Waco, TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 May 2008, 18:03 
Trapper
Trapper

howdy ya'll new to trapping and this board in hillcountry 8) any info will be great! like to hunt with dogs have been checking traps with my jag'd terrier lot of fun! :shock:

Post subject: i'm here
PostPosted: 14 May 2008, 11:56 
Trapper
Trapper

cadams here I just found this site. feel free to contact me If ya'll need anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2008, 13:26 
Trapper
Trapper

where yah out of adams? :idea:

Post subject: tx
PostPosted: 14 May 2008, 14:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Tom Bean Tx near Sherman