Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 18:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to trapping
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 23:01 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hey all, new to trapping in texas, never tried it, have read up a little, but the main question is where can i legally trap if i don't own any land and don't know anyone who does own land around me, i live just east of Dallas, any information on types of traps allowed, i'm currently just snaring squirrels in the back yard right now...... I know that's bad, but that's all i have right now....... Help if you can

Post subject: Re: New to trapping
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 06:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT newtextrapper. You will find that you get more information when you make your posts in the threads Trap Line and Camp Fire. But as far as trapping in TX, we are not restricted by too many regulations. Get a Trapper's License, acquire permission to set traps on property that isn't yours, do not trap on highway right of ways. There may be National Forest in your area, talk with the Rangers and see what are the requirements to trap there. Meet area farmers and ranchers and see if you could trap their lands to remove animals such as coyotes. It would be great if you could find another trapper to mentor you until you get the hang of it. Best of luck.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:27 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thank you for the reply, and information it's a liitle intimidating when you first start, i'm just afraid i'll break a law ... And wouldn't even know that i did until it was to late! I don't know how to find a trapper in my area..... They pretty much keep to themselves... I don't know that could convince some one to take me under there wing.... At least enough to learn the basics

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2016, 09:05 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I have been wondering if going to county extension office, if the County ext would know of ranches need trappers.