Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stolen Traps
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 20:34 
Trapper
Trapper

One thing I can't seem to get past is checking traps and finding that someone has stolen one or more of your traps.
Today I found one of my sets gone and evidence that there was an animal in the set ................big torn up circle and human foot prints coming down the hill in the snow. The earth anchor was dug out. I think what happened was that a Chukar hunter found the set.....................................I kept telling myself that it was a Coyote and not a Bobcat, made me feel better. Set was in a narrow draw below a lot of rocks.

Ive trapped one bobcat and one coyote..................the area where I caught the coyote was all torn up not the cat.......

Whats your experience will the area you have caught cats was it all torn up.........................

I just hope that I never walk up on someone stealing my traps........Have no idea of what I would do....................

jeff

Post subject: Re: Stolen Traps
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2013, 07:11 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Stolen traps and especially the ones with a catch circle can be quite frustrating to say the least! Sorry of you losses. Unless you can find a good clear track of your catch, you most likely won't know for sure what was in your trap. If you think it was a bird hunter then it could have been a hunting dog, coyote or bobcat. Look at the boot track and if you ever see a fresh track like that again, you may be able to meet your trap thief.