Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 20:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Land to Trap
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 17:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have been tryng to find some new places (private land) to trap for the season. My goal is to have some traps out everyday of season if at all possible so I have been trying to find places that will be on my way home from school. I have about 5-6 possible farms lined up. Just the other day a friend of my dad's said that he would like us to trap some land of his if we get a chance. Its a little further away but he said it has a lot of beaver and rats. I was really excited to here it had rats because the are pretty hard to find around here but the thing that excited me the most is that there is an albino beaver living in a lake on the property. I sure would love to catch it :D

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

Post subject: Re: New Land to Trap
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 00:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

an albino beaver would be awesome. I have had no problem getting trapping permission here. I dont know anyone around here that even traps. I have yet to be denied land for trapping. Gotta admit i kinda jealous on the rats...lol dont know what it is about them but i really enjoy trapping them. Looks like i should do good on otter and coon though.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 11:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Otter is the real trick around here. Mink too. They are hard to locate. I find otter sign in about every place i trap but the two i caught last year were just luck. One was in a beaver trap and the other in a coon set. As for mink, there just arent many here. Coon and beaver are enough to keep me busy, but diversity is nice :D

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 12:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

there arent many mink here either. I was told if i could find the rats i would be on the mink. I plan on using the bottom edge set only for mink this year. Pocket sets for them just produce coon. I just cant keep them out. I know theres a guy out in west tn named James Lord who does well on otter. From his videos it looks like he uses mainly cross overs on dams and land. I trap a river so their aint any beaver dams or land cross overs so i am gonna use pocket sets on vertical banks in atleast 2 foot of water. I was told this will almost stop coons from getting in them. The one i got in a pocket last year, i used sardines in just plain water. I would say any strong smelling fish will work. From what i have seen otters are very curious critters, so i will be trying flagging on my otter sets this year. Curiousity killed the cat why not the otter too...lol

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 12:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have heard that blind sets work great for mink. They say if you can find a trail of a log where they step on you could set a coni or leghold respectively with no bait and catch them. A guy at the TFTA meeting in lebanon said if you really want to use biat/lure you should use crayfish oil. Said it works great for otter too, so i ordered some for this season.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 12:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i heard the same on the shellfish oil. Another thing on otter...they are big travelers. Seems the otter here take a week or two to come back through an area.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 13:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have also heard that otters travel in a semi-weekly cycle. After i thought about it i believe its true judging by watching an otter toilet i found on the edge of a road. It seemed like the otter would make a stop about every 6-7 days.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 14:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Also otters hate mink. I was told that let will go out of there way to kill a mink. Thats why i bought hawbakers otter lure. It has alot of mink musk in it. Sometimes you can find what i been calling a community toilet. I have found 4 so far. They are just littered with scat and what looks like green puke. I believe there are multiple otters using these. I also found out that the beaver bank den i was trapping last year has sign around it. I am hoping that some otters have took it over. Otters will probably be worth more than anything else we can trap.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 14:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Never heard about otter hating mink. Thats interesting though. I will have to look into some otter lures.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 16:43 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good luck with otter lure, I have yet to find one that I felt aided me in catching an otter.

One mink set that coon will not get is a pocket set that is in the side of a bank that is the water is too deep for coons to walk in, dig your hole straight into the bank at water level, with enough depth in the water to cover a trap and place your bait in the back. When a mink smells the bait or swims by it will enter the den hole.....

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 18:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks Swamp. I just wish i could find some mink to catch. Are there any other mink trapping tips you have?

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1