Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 02:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Armadillo Sightings
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 12:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Has anyone been seeing many armadillos in there part of the state. It seems like everyday there is another one dead on the side of the interstate here lately. I still havent seen a live one yet. The first one that anybody ever saw in these parts popped up about 5 years ago. I saved its claws lol. The population seems to be rising around here quickly. Who knows, maybe i can catch a few this fall ;--) :mrgreen:

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

Post subject: Re: Armadillo Sightings
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 20:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

we dont have them armored opossum on this side of the state. I dealt with with out in missouri for awhile. I hate em. If i was you i would get rid of every one you can

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 11:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I kinda wish we had a few more here. Enough you would see some live ones every now and and then. I bet they would be fun to try to trap. I saw some live ones in florida a few years ago while i was hog hunting. Hogs are another thing thats making there way up here. I have heard of a few hog sightings around here. They say dickson county has a few so they are getting close. They also say fort campbell has quite a few.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 11:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

they changed hog regs this year. There is no longer a season on then. They wanted to get rid of there "trophy statis". Landowners can shoot on site. Check out http://www.tndeer.com forums. There is a twra section that has alot of the twra officals on it. The is more info there about it. Watch talkin about trappin over there though...some of the people over there are a little touchy on the subject. Great place for hunting and fishing though.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2011, 17:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Our local news station did a report on the "armadillo invasion" of middle TN a few weeks ago. It said the reason so many end up road kill is because they have a habit of jumping straight up in the air when startled. It also said they cant see well. I have always heard the best way to catch them is to set a trap up against a wall of fence or other type of barrier because they walk down them to guide them as they walk. I guess i should be prepared to eradicate them when they invade my area :twisted:

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2011, 22:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Whistle-Pig wrote:
Our local news station did a report on the "armadillo invasion" of middle TN a few weeks ago. It said the reason so many end up road kill is because they have a habit of jumping straight up in the air when startled. It also said they cant see well. I have always heard the best way to catch them is to set a trap up against a wall of fence or other type of barrier because they walk down them to guide them as they walk. I guess i should be prepared to eradicate them when they invade my area :twisted:

Why do you dislike the "dillos" so much? We have had them forever. They do rough up a lawn and turn some plants upside down in the garden, but all they are looking for are some worms and bugs. Just curious.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011, 11:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I personally dont dislike armadillos. I think they are very interesting little critters. I said in an earlier post that i wish we would get a few more here. I know many people wouldnt like armadillos and im always looking for a new challenge as far as hunting and trapping goes. I figure a whole new species in my area would allow me to do some new things, things that trappers from before my time havent got to do around here. When i say "eradicate" i dont mean i hate them, just that i will be more than ready to catch a few, and im sure help out some neighbors who dont trap deal with these new critters. The :twisted: in my earlier post was meant jokingly :)

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1