Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 19:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 12:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I tried my new Hot Dog coyote howler this morning and called in a nice sized coyote. I aimed my shotgun at his neck and pulled the trigger and the gun goes CLICK, misfire! I felt sick to my stomach. I guess the shell wasnt any good because my dad bought those shells at least 15 years ago. They were 3 inch remington #4 shot turkey shells. I dont know if the coyote saw me or not, but he just walked off, but not in a spooked panic. My question is, how do you hunt a coyote that is educated? Do you just try calling with different sounds?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 17:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I would just try a different sound, and maybe a different time of day. Did that coyote get downwind of you? If he smelled you chances are that the gig is up. Maybe try a distress sound instead of howling next time. You may as well. Oh and one more thing, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD GET SOME NEW SHOTGUN SHELLS AND SHOOT EM TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS COCKED, LOCKED, AND READY TO ROCK FOR WHEN YOU CALL THE NEXT ONE IN!!!!!!!!!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 17:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I dont think he smelled me. It was a creek bottom very early in the morning with no wind and I washed my clothes with scent killer so my smell output wasnt much. I went and bought some new shells today. They are Federal 3 inch magnum #4 shot turkey loads. The shell that misfired was an old remington that had been laying around for years. That coyote got lucky this morning, but not next time around! Even though I didnt get him, it was still fun calling him in and watching him move and sniff. I learned a lot.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 17:29 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Another option is hunt with a buddy. Have one sit down wind of the caller by about 50 yards. Often you'll catch the slicker ones circling down wind before even thinking about it. Change up your calls, add a visible decoy. Use howls, etc.... The smarter the 'yote, the sneakier you'll have to be....

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220