Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 06:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you call yotes
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 21:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Could some of you folks that are good at calling in yotes give me some pointers? Ive got an elctronic caller that has a yote howl, fawn, rabbit, and two other sounds. Ive also got a mouth blown caller that sounds like a cottontail. Would these work? How long should I expect to wait before something comes? What time of day should I start calling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 00:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Trapper, All the sounds you have will call in a yote but dont get upset if it dosent happen the first few times. If the area you live in gets called a lot it can be tough to get them to respond. Here in Illinios where I live they get hit hard, we may call one in mabey once every 5 to 6 places we call. The yotes are here but they have been called so much they know whats up. Try starting out calling softly you dont want to blow them out with too much volume, I would call for about 20-30 seconds then wait for 5 to 10 minutes if nothing shows up call again with more volume. try this for about a half hour if nothing has showed by then I would try another spot . Nothing is set in stone when calling you just have to get out there and try different things to see what works for you and your area! I suggest trying calling at first lite and late afternoon again nothing is set in stone here if they are hungry they will respond any time day or nite. As far as how long it takes them to respond you just never know, some show up right off the bat and some may take several minutes, its really a crap shoot just keep with it till you hit on something that works.